2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

wiring changes to stock truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:wiring changes to stock truck

I suspect that if you cut loose the wire to the backup bulb in the tail-light assembly, and splice it into the signal wire at the other bulb socket, or<br>cut that lead and only hook it to the old backup light socket, you would<br>get what you are looking for.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY GUYS- HAS ANYBODY TRIED TO GET BOTH HIGH&amp;LOW BEAMS AT SAME TIME W/OUT PAYING THE BUCKS? I WAS THINKING YOU COULD USE A DIODE ON EACH H-LIGHT. HOOK BTWEEN HIGH BEAM WIRE&amp;LOW BEAM WIRE.I GOT SOME DIODES FROM RADIO SHACK FOR $2.67 THAT I'M GONNA TRY SOON. WHADDA YA THINK?
Old 02-28-2003, 04:19 PM
Banned

www.dodgeram.org<br><br>Click on something like tech and DIY mods.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=5;threadid=4260;start=0#109871 date=1046386876]<br>I am curious as to how to do that blinker mod. The way I've got aux back up lights set up is that I've got them wired into the power for the existing backup lights. So whenever I put the truck in reverse, the automatically come on. But I also have them setup to where I can throw a switch in the cab, and they come on without the truck being in reverse. I'd like to keep this feature yet run the amber bulbs in the tail lights. So, would I basically need to cut the power wire from the existing back up lights and hook that straight to my aux backup lights, and then run a power wire from the blinker to the backup light (now amber bulb) in the tail light housing?<br>[/quote]<br>Hey BB,<br> I'll tell ya how I did mine. I mounted a set of 55W halogen aux lights under the rear bumper. I then cut the leads to the back up light sockets (followed them to where they met) and used the stock reverse light wire to trigger a relay that powers the aux. lights (The 12V hot comes from my trailer hitch plug) By using the relay, I'm not pulling the heavy amps for the halogen lights all the way through the lighter gauge BU light wire (follow me so far?)<br> Then I replaced the BU bulbs with amber ones. Now you have two options: <br> (A) Splice the old BU sockets into the rear turn signal wire for each rear turn signal which will let each amber bulb flash when your red rear does,,, but keep in mind that when you put on the brakes,,,, both the ambers and the reds will come on.<br> (B) (The way I did mine) I wired the right rear BU socket to the right front turn signal wire and the left rear BU socket to the left front turn signal wire. By doing it this way, the rear ambers only come on when the turn signal is activated. When I step on the brakes, ONLY the red brake lights come on. When using both the brakes and a turn signal, the red and amber both flash in the direction I'm turning.<br><br> I also have a wiring diagram that was sent to me by a fellow TDR member which also shows how to hook them up so that when you put on the turn signals, the rear ambers will blink without the red ones blinking. And if you put on the brakes at the same time, the ambers will continue to blink, but the reds will stay on constant (like most of the newer cars do).<br> I can send you the diagram if you like. It is on my home PC. Send a PM if ya have any questions.<br><br>Dennis
Old 03-03-2003, 08:38 AM
JGK

slayerfish,<br><br>I have been considering the same mod, and briefly considered diodes. However I think the current draw would require some really big diodes. I suspect you'll fry the ones from RadioShock.<br><br>I looked over the wiring of the high/low beam switch in my service manual and I think a better approach would be to use a relay there. When you click on the high beams, a tap from there would energize the coil of the relay. The trigger for the low beams would be tied into the switch side of the relay such that the relay acts as a secondary low beam switch. So when you hit the highs, the lows would stay on. This could all be done under the knee bolster. Just have to find the right wires running down the steering column.<br><br>-Jay