2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Wind noise inside my cab is really annoying me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wind noise inside my cab is really annoying me!

Hi all! I knew my truck was going to be loud when I bought it. Thats actually why I bought it! For some reason though my truck is developing a very annoying wind noise above 45 mph. At 55 you can drown it out with the radio but at 70 mph you can hear it over the scotty II intake. I have the hole cut in the cowel for the scotty but it did it with the stock intake too. Its kind of like riding in a wind tunnel. It seems to be coming from the center dash/trans cowel area. I did notice the insulation on my fire wall has come loose and was wondering if the wind could be getting in between the loose insulation and the fire wall creating the noise. I did a search on sound proofing but no one ever mentioned a wind noise. Just the usual clatter/music coming from the cummins. My questions are,
1. have any of you had the insulation on the fire wall come unglued thus making the cab louder/windier sounding?
2. would it hurt anything if I took the insulation of the firewall? If I did this I planed on adding sound proofing to the inside of the cab but I wasn't sure if the fire wall would get to hot and pose a hazard with no insulation on it?

My first attempt to fix this was to fit a piece of tin around the shift tower Under the rubber boot and seal it with silicone. That made no difference.
If I could get rid of the wind noise I really don't care if its any quieter. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 09:28 PM

Hey,That soounds like the same noise i am getting in my truck,But mine comes from aroudn the doors i never noticed it coming from around the dash area.Maybe next time you go out with the truck and you hear see if it is coming from around the door,cause i know of alot of people that have the problem with it coming in around the doors..

Jeff
Old 01-03-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Problems can be caused by wind springing the doors open too wide and "springing" the doors. You might want to take it to a body shop and have them adjust the doors. My gasser 1500 sprung the doors so bad in a wind storm (12 year old opened the door in the wind) I had to bend the hinges back to get the door to seal. If you bought the truck used, I'll bet this is the problem.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:43 PM

My driver's side door does that. How do you adjust them?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:51 PM

Sometimes it can turn out to be the weatherstripping around the doors as well. I have noticed that with a few trucks over the years.........Jamie
Old 01-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, just slamming the doors can, over time, slowly bend the top of the door out.
Easy fix is to close it gently with a 2x4 on the bottom holding it open, then gently push on the top of the door.
Key word is gently, too much and you'll not only bust your window, but really bend the door out of whack.

phox
Old 01-04-2006, 11:16 AM

A couple of times when we were traveling back and forth from PA to ME it woult ge6t so bad we would pull over,wind the window down,ope the door and put our knee against the door and pull very slightly on the top and that would do the trick.

Jeff
Old 01-04-2006, 11:21 AM

dieseldiehard

have you had your windshield replaced?

i had that same noise right after the windshield was replaced, turned out it didnt get a goos seal righ in the middle under the plastic trm. we removed the cowel and used some urathane across the bottom of the windshield. Problem solved..

dan
Old 01-04-2006, 01:06 PM

The hinges could be wore as well, or the weatherstripping. You can get a bushing kit for the hinges ifthe door sags when you open it.I had a lot of wind noise as well, i replacedthe bushings and added another thin, wide layer of foam rubber to the door were the weatherstrip hits.All is quiet now relatively speaking
Old 01-04-2006, 05:16 PM

Smile

Thanks for all the replies guys!! I think the windshield has been replaced before so I'm going to seal up the bottom again just in case and i looked at the weather stripping around the door and it definately needs attention. Does anybody know of any vendors for replacement weather stripping other than the dealer?
I'm also still curious if any of you have ever had the insulation on your firewall come loose like mine has? It looks like it would be almost impossible to replace with the engine still in. has anybody ever accomplished replacing it with the engine in with good results? I think I'd prefer to take it out and put more on the inside of the firewall if it wouldn't hurt anything to remove the stuff in the engine compartment. Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:44 PM

yea, me too on te noise, this is what i've been doing.

http://www.coopersafety.com/shop/earplugs/ultrafit.cfm