2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Who has a DECENT cheap tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Who has a DECENT cheap tire?

I know I know...kind of a catch 22, but I'm looking for some new rubber. I can not afford $6-800+ for new tires, friend can mount/balance for free or trade. Need to be load range E, don't have to last a heck of a long time, 30-50k would be nice. I've had Goodrides (?), and they handle a load OK, but don't wear right. 10k and the fronts are a little slim, alignment and front end are good, so soft rubber I say. I've also had Michelin's LTX, seemed ok but same wear problems. I have Dunlop Rover's (I think) on the back, wear is OK but don't do too well in the snow once worn a bit. I tow in the good weather (7-9k depending) and plow in the bad (snow) weather. We got a messy storm last week and on my way to work I got stuck in my neighbor's driveway right off the bat.

So I guess I need something that lasts forever, works OK in snow, and won't break my wallet. Good luck huh? Grip in snow is more important to me than grip on dry pavement, as I don't test the limits on the latter. I actually do have a set of Kumho road venture's, look like a BFG mud terrain kinda, 33x12.5x16.5 that have held up very well, probably have 20k on them and have plenty of meat on them. Just run them from time to time for variety. I think thats what I want, something with plenty of tread to spare, so even if they do wear a little uneven, not that I ever have any front end problems , I can limp along for a few hundred miles without taking out half of a tire's worth of tread. I'm looking at Firestone transforce, prices seem decent but I don't have any experience with the brand at all.

FWIW, I currently have stock 245/75-16, looking to go up to 265/75-16, mostly for aesthetics but also for a bit of a taller O/D when empty on the highway. I don't really care about noise, not looking for another mudder though, but I figured there's gotta be a decent fleet type tire that's not overpriced available. I've tried searching all over, just getting overwhelmed. First hand experience is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am happy with the Hankook ATM, don't have snow here so no input on that aspect of the tire.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was gonna suggest the kumho's you mentioned. Had them on my 89 and was a good-wearing cost-effective tire. I like the yoko's I have now. wearing pretty good and the 315/17's were right at $1000 installed, so 245's or 265's might be cheaper.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 PM

my transforce HT tires were 130 each plus mount and balance. VERY happy.
Look at Firestone Transforce AT.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
www.tires.com
I'd go with Cooper Discoverer ATR
Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM

the best solution is Craigslist ... but you cannot be in a hurry.

you can find top quality E rated tires in like new condition for a fraction of new costs. LOTS of folks take off brand new 17in factory aluminum wheels with E rated factory rubber. to put on lessor quality aftermarket wheels.

have seen deals priced $350-$650 for full sets of factory alloy rims and tires. depending on how much wear is on tires.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 PM

i have had really good luck with mastercraft tires, in fact i'm thinking about my next set being some courser m/t's. had a set years ago that wore great.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2500
the best solution is Craigslist ... but you cannot be in a hurry.

you can find top quality E rated tires in like new condition for a fraction of new costs. LOTS of folks take off brand new 17in factory aluminum wheels with E rated factory rubber. to put on lessor quality aftermarket wheels.

have seen deals priced $350-$650 for full sets of factory alloy rims and tires. depending on how much wear is on tires.

Yup. This.

I paid $500 for my take-offs from a '08 Big Horn. Had 300 miles on them. Still had the nubs.

All I had to do was pull new valve stems in because the other guy needed his stems for the TPMS on the new trucks.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the Firestone trans force is a good tire I run them on a couple trucks
Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM

I'm sort of leaning towards the transforce a/t's now, look like a decent tread. I used to go to the local tire shop and tell them I needed new tires for my dock, they'd let me pick and have whatever I wanted for free out of the pull-off pile. I've made a few trips lately, seems like people are getting more out of tires these days, cause just about everything had belts showing.

How about General, we run alot of those on our work trucks and they seem to hold up ok. Just not sure on price/availability.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a set of Nitto Duragrapplers on my last service truck and was pleased with mileage and ride quality.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned

Decide on a tire by reading tire dealer sites ie tirerack. Find your best web price for tires only without delivery. Confirm that Discount still price matches web prices. Their lifetime balance + install ~ $7 each.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 AM

This is what a buddy of mine bought... http://www.treadwright.com/c-15-265-75r16.aspx He bought the Guard Dog M/T in a 315/75/16. His are BFGoodrich AT carcasses. They took very little weight to balance and with only 1,500 miles, they look brand new. So no telling how long that they'll last, but he is more than satisfied with them. He said that they were very helpful in answering his questions, and he got them in 2 days after they shipped. Just my $.02...
Attached Thumbnails Who has a DECENT cheap tire?-tires.jpg   Who has a DECENT cheap tire?-tires1.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick660
This is what a buddy of mine bought... http://www.treadwright.com/c-15-265-75r16.aspx He bought the Guard Dog M/T in a 315/75/16. His are BFGoodrich AT carcasses. They took very little weight to balance and with only 1,500 miles, they look brand new. So no telling how long that they'll last, but he is more than satisfied with them. He said that they were very helpful in answering his questions, and he got them in 2 days after they shipped. Just my $.02...
With shipping and install, those are as expensive as new from discount. Lifetime balance is included with Discount. Pay now or pay later.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nick660
Originally Posted by Junk Man
With shipping and install, those are as expensive as new from discount. Lifetime balance is included with Discount. Pay now or pay later.
Well, after seeing those treadwrights now I've made a decision. I refuse to go to any of the large tire shops around here, been ripped off too many times. 4 to be exact. They never clean the rim, never changed the valve stem (verified that!) and their weights are almost always off by an ounce. Last time I went to Town Fair, I had a blowout on a tire with less than 10k on it. Had the warranty, so all I had to pay was mounting/balancing/valve stem, something like $40. I nearly got into a fist fight with the manager after he looked at my steel rim and said "well, that's cracked, can't do it." He was looking at the cast seam on the back of the rim, straight as an arrow and all the way across...and not a crack. Needless to say they fixed it, but still didn't change the valve stem. I cut my losses and got my equivilant of a valve stem back, and I will never be back there again.

Any way, those treadwrights (BFG all terrains) are about $100 less than discount or any one else shipped. Works with my free mounting/balancing. Thanks for the link Nick!

Quick Reply: Who has a DECENT cheap tire?