2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what your saying is true but my mechanic is a good friend and I seen the invoice for the parts and he only charged me for the labour.
Parts cost alot more up here in the cold north than down in the good ole USA. I have the truck back and I have to say the bearing must have been getting bad for sometime. It drives soooo much better than it has for the last few months. I know one thing for sure and that is its hard to hear too much with the old cummins hammering and the 4 a/t tires humming on the black top.
As willie would say " On the road again".
Old 01-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
The auto parts stores started selling $125 junk Chinese bearings a couple years ago that many people found broken new out of the box or lasted only 10k miles.
Just because your mechanic says he used $400 bearings it doesn't mean he really did. Most mechanics jack up to the customer what they really pay for parts.
Make sure he uses good ones this time, auto parts charge around $200 each for OEM quality bearings.
My thoughts, too. You have viable concerns, but this particular issue isn't a Dodge problem, but a problem with who manufactured this batch of bearings. You could have gotten junk bearings.
And, sorry to say, there isn't a manufacturer on the planet who hasn't made a lemon or two. There are too many guys on this forum with solid, reliable trucks to categorize Dodge as junk.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:32 PM

True enough Hodge! I know a friend with an old mid 90's 3500 4x2. 1.2 million km's. Hasn't had too many issues, good truck. I don't think that Dodge made the bearings that were in the truck from the start or the replacement, but they should demand quality because its their name on the line.. If they choose to buy sub-standard parts to make these trucks then by god its a Dodge problem. I know all Dodge's or any other truck isn't junk for that matter. I'm just wondering why such a heavy duty vehicle that is quoted here on this web site as able to haul many tons doesn't seem able to just be a driver. The size of those hubs and every other part under this truck should make it very strong.
Sorry for not understanding but if I have a small car and use it as a truck then I would understand the breakdowns, but having such a heavy vehicle and doing no more than I could with a Honda Civic makes me shake my head.
I know I don't need such a heavy vehicle as many have told me but if I choose this its not the reason its falling apart. Driving it easy and unloaded should not hurt the bearings or any other part of this truck. Thats my point.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I understand the part about the repair being more than the truck is worth. Mine is the same way, I keep on telling myself the repair is cheaper than a payment....glad you're rolling again!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Yup on the road again, only spent $829.98 on her this week. It is good to have it back though, I do understand the fun in driving these rigs though.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can say its junk but they all have issues My buddy has switched his entire fleet over to Dodge except for 2 chevys gassers and has been very happy since his fords kept him broke.the Dodges have weak spots that can be remedied .the big problem in todays world is the Garbage replacement parts out there ...even the life time stuff we See coming out of China is costing this country millions.I see bad out of the box parts every day and the manufactures are not exempt ether or there shops would not have warranty work to do. I get a kick out of our local Ford dealers parts departments common fail parts aisle ,and you would be surprised to see how many of the exact same parts are on Ford Dodge and Chevy. you might have just got a lemon ,it happens and its a bummer when its you.
Robert
Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
even the life time stuff we See coming out of China
When a manufacturer US or abroad offers a lifetime warranty on anything it's because they know a high percentage of people won't ever use the warranty.
It's a gamble with the odds stacked their favor.
Because of this a lifetime warrantied part doesn't mean it's any better than a non-warrantied part.
It's basically just a sales gimmick.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
These trucks, any vehices for that matter, are like dogs, there's a lot of good ones, and a few bad ones.

Sorry you seem to have got a bad one.....