2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

What year for best MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
+1 I have kept track of every ounce of fuel that my truck has consumed since I bought it. This way there are no fill up errors. Furthermore, I graph it (on excel) & use four rolling averages per graph point. This minimizes variation due to fuel quality, headwids, etc. Doing this I have a really good idea of what my mileage is. You really have to get this detailed to get good information and most people don't. At worst, they will measure it once, round up, and then tell you that they get 28 mpg. No point arguing w/ them. The better ones will measure over several tank fulls & call it good.

My truck is a 2004.5, 4x4, 6-speed, SRW w/ a big headache rack & oversize tires (tires & rack pulled mileage down a little). After 130K miles I have seen:
- overall (total 129,541 miles & 6661.1 gallons): 19.4 mpg
- best single tankful: 23.9 mpg
- best 4 consequtive average: 23 mpg
- typical winter: 18.5 mpg
- typical summer: 21 mpg

YRMV. I drive predominantly HWY & like a granny. I expect that 1st or 2nd generation truck will do slightly better, but not much.

BTW, that 6661 gallons of fuel cost me over $18K. Factoring in vehicle cost, maintenance (including tires), repair cost, & insurance: the vehicle cost represents 56% & fuel cost represents 30% of the overall cost of ownership for this truck. Clearly fuel cost drives overall vehicle cost if you keep vehicles for a long time.
I too, have been keepin track of my fuel economy on Excel since last year. Everytime I fill up, I calculate my fuel economy for that fill up (no rounding), then put it into Excel. Looks like you got some good numbers.

I'm still skeptical, but I'm beginning to think that different brands of fuel may also play a role in mpg's. I might start experimenting with that.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm still skeptical, but I'm beginning to think that different brands of fuel may also play a role in mpg's. I might start experimenting with that.
There may be more to that than meets the eye. Not only are there differences between manufacturers but also between batches out of the same refinery.
We used to buy gasoline direct from the refinery for use in our aircraft. Then one day they stopped delivering to us and wouldn't say why. They just said we should call a fuel delivery service and they would deliver. After a lot of arguing and talking to different people we finally got out of them that they often make fuel that doesn't meet the minimum requirements so they "fudge" a little to get the fuel so it will at least run OK. They had only just realized the legal implications of selling us "regular leaded gasoline" for use legally in aircraft that didn't meet minimum standards by law. Do you really think they care about fuel for use in a diesel truck that will burn just about anything??
Old 01-12-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
There may be more to that than meets the eye. Not only are there differences between manufacturers but also between batches out of the same refinery.
We used to buy gasoline direct from the refinery for use in our aircraft. Then one day they stopped delivering to us and wouldn't say why. They just said we should call a fuel delivery service and they would deliver. After a lot of arguing and talking to different people we finally got out of them that they often make fuel that doesn't meet the minimum requirements so they "fudge" a little to get the fuel so it will at least run OK. They had only just realized the legal implications of selling us "regular leaded gasoline" for use legally in aircraft that didn't meet minimum standards by law. Do you really think they care about fuel for use in a diesel truck that will burn just about anything??
Wow, yea that makes sense. The reason I say that is because I made a 650 mile round trip last weekend and got 16.25 mpg there and 18.96 mpg back. Same freeway, load, and driving style. I was driving kinda fast both times. The only difference was where I filled up. Could've just been a bad batch on the first tank. I've done the same route before and didn't notice that much of a difference in mpg's.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Not much difference w/ different brands, but have seen a HUGE difference from batch to batch even at the same service station. I tend to travel the same route & buy my fuel at the same 3 or 4 stations. Every once in a while the MPG will shoot up WAY high or low even (+/- 2 mpg) after fueling up at the same station. I keep mental track of headwind, traffic, speed, etc. to make sure that I factor in anything that affects mpg. Also, the overhead lie-o-meter is pretty consistent. W/ my Quad XZT it is optimistic by 7 mpg, but this offset is consistent. I use it to calibrate my gut feel on mpg as I drive.