2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

What radio do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What radio do I have?

Ok my CD player is starting to give fits about playing Cds, I found one I want but it asks if I have the Infinity stereo. I have no idea on how to tell by looking at it. There is no Infinity anywhere that I see. It has 6 spkrs. The normal doors, and the 2 A-pillar tweets. My stock head unit looks like this one on Ebay. This auction says its an Infinity but I'm not sure. I need to order the new headunit Friday, so I gotta find out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chrysler-Dodge-I...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-12-2006, 12:00 AM

That one there is an Infinity....

Your not interested in aftermarket players?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:27 AM

When they ask about whether you have an Infinity system, its not the head unit they are asking about. The Infinity option is a seperate amplifier and Infinity speakers. If you have the Inifinity system, your speakers will usually say infinity on their grills, and there should be a black and gold amplifier mounted somewhere. I don't know where they are located in a Ram, but in Jeeps they are under the back seat. I believe the difference is in the style plug that is used to connect the head unit to the vehicle harness. They also have to compensate for the amplifier, since an aftermarket head unit may not be compatible with the system.

Jim
Old 01-12-2006, 12:38 AM

Generally though, if your truck is an SLT...it usually has the infinity in it (at least any of the ones Ive looked at had the Infinity)
Old 01-12-2006, 05:30 AM

No I'm looking for a whole new head unit. Axtually the one I'm getting is the Sony CDXM8815. I had the whole truck ripped apart and no factory amp. Where would it say infinity? Nothing on the spkr grilles, and yes my truck is an SLT. I did try a old headunit a while ago, and the speakers never played, however, I did not confirm that the head unit I tried was good. Isn't there some radio choke or something? I heard the spkrs each have their own mini amp? I would rather not pull a door panel off. No dry place to do that yet. raining forever up here in Or.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:19 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2500CTD
No I'm looking for a whole new head unit. Axtually the one I'm getting is the Sony CDXM8815. I had the whole truck ripped apart and no factory amp. Where would it say infinity? Nothing on the spkr grilles, and yes my truck is an SLT. I did try a old headunit a while ago, and the speakers never played, however, I did not confirm that the head unit I tried was good. Isn't there some radio choke or something? I heard the spkrs each have their own mini amp? I would rather not pull a door panel off. No dry place to do that yet. raining forever up here in Or.
There is a wire (two on some models) that HAS to ground out to the back of the chassis of he radio. It is the ground for the factory crossover attached to the back of the the two front doot speakers. You have to have both power and ground or NONE of your speakers will work. The power is a purple wire I believe (or is it bule&white?).

Look here:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...front+speakers

If you order from Crutchfield the send out a paper with some explaination of the infinity system and what you NEED to do to make it work correctly with an aftermarket headunit.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Chapter President

Yep, your system is Infinity, and the speakers are amp'ed external to the head unit. I heard that Crutchfield has a wiring harness that will make your existing speakers work, but - you're taking the new head unit amp(s) out of the loop, and the factory Infinity speakers are garbage; Mine were paper-coned and gave lousy performance - I'm now running REAL Infinity speakers behind a Sony head unit, sounds WAY better than factory....

. Go ahead and get the new head unit, and replace the speakers with GOOD ones, you'll need to run your own wiring (easy task); You should run wires for amps to be added later, leave 'em capped off if you're not going to add them yet.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:21 AM
P.J
Banned

The short answer was, No each speaker does not have and amp, only the fronts. Then, the other 4 speakers (rears and tweets in a Q.C) in the truck are ran off of a huge harness that bolts onto the back of the front door speakers.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the A-Pillar tweeters only came with the Infinity system?

phox
Old 01-12-2006, 03:13 PM

Replace the whole system, you'll be glad you did. sound will be much better the speakers will fail one at a time eventually anyway.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:35 PM
JKM

In all my time looking at trucks , i only saw one that was SLT and had infinity , and the overhead computer. About half of them had rubber floors too.

Dad's 97 is an SLT Laramie , it's got the rubber floor , cloth seats , no overhead, no power seats, no infinity.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:47 PM

I know my '96 SLT has no infinity system...but I don't know what year the Infinity systems started. Even my '96 loaded SLT Dakota doesn't have the Infinity system, but it did have the same CD player as shown in the original post. On the other hand, we had a few jeeps with the same CD player and Infinity system.

Jim
Old 01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
I thought the A-Pillar tweeters only came with the Infinity system?

phox
You are Correct Sir!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:40 PM
P.J
Banned

Tell you what look at the back. An infinity radio should have two prongs on the back of the chassis that connectors go on. They are the grounds for the crossovers.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by tenbrooks
Replace the whole system, you'll be glad you did. sound will be much better the speakers will fail one at a time eventually anyway.
What he said! I did and I couldn't believe the differnce in sound. Add head unit 4 new speakers and a sub and you won't be disappointed.

Quick Reply: What radio do I have?