2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

What to look for in a 2nd Gen ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to look for in a 2nd Gen ????

This is the first post here and I'm glad I found the site.

My 89 F150 4x4 gasser finally died after 187000 miles (engine and tranny rebuild along the way). Its not worth fixing up at this point so I've decided that the only thing to replace it with is a Cummins.

I've found a 97, reg cab, auto, 4x4, 135000 miles, with a newly rebuilt tranny. they want $9900 but said they'd drop the price....To what I do not know yet.

What should I look for besides the obvious????
What rules of thumb are there for this year truck???

Any guidence is greatly apprieciated!!!

I need a good work truck for just hauling landscaping materials around and myself back and forth to work thru the winter when I can't ride the bike.

Thanks!
-Kutch
Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 AM

What to look for in a second gen?

Hmmmm.....lessee......ummmm...a blonde would be nice, 5'2", eyes of blue, but oh what those five feet can do..........oh - sorry, wrong forum.

Never mind.................
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by gmctd
What to look for in a second gen?

Hmmmm.....lessee......ummmm...a blonde would be nice, 5'2", eyes of blue, but oh what those five feet can do..........oh - sorry, wrong forum.

Never mind.................

GMCTD
Ahhhh, not what I had in mind but 5'2" is a little too short for me...

Come on! Keep on track here!

Kutch
Old 09-28-2006, 12:13 PM

I just finished a long search for a used truck to haul my 2-horse trailer. The only thing I know about trucks and diesels is what I've heard during my search. In short, the general consensus from diesel mechanics and experienced drivers seems to be: 1) the 2nd gen. Dodge/Cummins is the most simple and reliable truck around, and also the easiest and cheapest to repair when needed; 2) the weakest link in this truck is the automatic transmission (especially if used for hauling). Everyone told me that when buying a used automatic, look for the ones recently rebuilt, because if they weren't yet, they were going to need it eventually. Also learned that there are several ways to modify the transmissions to make them more durable; and 3) a thorough pre-purchase inspection by a qualified mechanic should be considered mandatory.

I applied these words of wisdom, and found a 97 extended cab with 4wd and a manual, with about the same mileage. The pre-purchase inspection located about $1000 in repairs needed to the ball joints, serpentine belt and rear axel seal, and a few other minor things, which resulted in a reduction of the price by that same amount. Still paid $3,000 more than what you are looking at, but feel that the price was pretty good for the area and what I got. So, if the truck you're looking at is in good shape and you can live with the automatic, sounds like it might be a pretty good buy.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What to look for

Kutch;
Do a search on here for Killer Dowel Pin or KDP. That is probably the most serious thing you will find that can go wrong and it is an easy fix but a lot of people ignore it and it can end up a costly repair.

135K is just hardly broke in and you should expect 250K to 300K with no problems, even more if the truck has been maintained.

John (DH)

Oh, welcome to the site.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:51 PM

KDP & a preinspection from a Cummins mechanic...Check...

Thanks guys!
Will let ya'll know how it goes.

Kutch
Old 09-28-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kutch
KDP & a preinspection from a Cummins mechanic...Check...

Thanks guys!
Will let ya'll know how it goes.

Kutch
If its a 4wd..

go ahead and check the front end, the track bar, the alignment and what not. Also check to see if the Breakoff screw has been tampered with, as well as the AFC, you will have a good idea about the pump if you do this..

Rick
Old 09-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Banned

Also take the truck for a good test drive, get out leave it running and check for excessive blowby.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 AM

this is general, but check to see how doors close. does it take a hard slam to close or does a gentle push close door.

this shows how well truck is aligned. if truck has been hit and repaired. look under chassis to see if there's been any major repairs done.