2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Well picked up my 01 last night......

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well picked up my 01 last night......

Well... I went to Pittsburg PA yesterday to pick up my new to me 01 2500. As soon as I got there I jumped up under it to look for the dreaded numbers 53. Well come to find out there were no numbers so I guess I got the Mexican block. Me is so happy. The previous owner put a 4" exhaust on it. I love the sound but I think I would like it even better with the muffler taken off. Anyway my next step is to put gauges on it, get a BHAF, remove the silencer ring, and prolly get a smarty. I bought the truck from the original owner and he had a ton of stuff done to it. So I am so happy. It really turns the heads whilst cruisng through town. hehe. This is my first purchase of a diesel truck and i love it! Just thought you guys would like to know. Paul
Old 05-28-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a good catch.

It takes a while to get the smile off your face.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:30 AM

Congrats make sure and get the FP gauge first!!
Old 05-28-2006, 07:43 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now, don't be going outside looking at it every hour or so......

When I first got mine my wife would come to the garage door and say "Oh my God, are you out here messing with this thing again?"
Like a kid with a new toy.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:02 AM

Yep... Sounds like me. I just had to go out and look under it again when I got up this morning just to feel safe. I also pulled the turbo intake tube off and the silencer ring is no more I love this rig! Can't wait to start doing some more stuff to it. Paul

P.S. One of the first things that I am going to do is get a FP, Boost, and EGT gauge. Anybody have a clue as to where I need to hook the FP and boost gauge up? I guess I need to have a muffler shop weld a bung on the exhaust for the EGT gauge correct? Where is the best place to put that at? Anybody have a good place to get gauges and the guage pod holder? I need the one with the tweeter. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
When I first got mine my wife would come to the garage door and say "Oh my God, are you out here messing with this thing again?"
Like a kid with a new toy.
I've had mine 3 years, and I still get that
Old 05-29-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Iwantadodge
Yep... Sounds like me. I just had to go out and look under it again when I got up this morning just to feel safe. I also pulled the turbo intake tube off and the silencer ring is no more I love this rig! Can't wait to start doing some more stuff to it. Paul

P.S. One of the first things that I am going to do is get a FP, Boost, and EGT gauge. Anybody have a clue as to where I need to hook the FP and boost gauge up? I guess I need to have a muffler shop weld a bung on the exhaust for the EGT gauge correct? Where is the best place to put that at? Anybody have a good place to get gauges and the guage pod holder? I need the one with the tweeter. Thanks!
I hooked my FP gauge on post filter banjo bolt on the filter canister. Used a tapped banjo bolt for this. I tapped the air horn for the boost gauge, because I didn't want to wait, or spend, for a boost bolt. For the pyro, best place is on the exhaust manifold, back side. Do a search, there will be lots of threads on which way is best and how to do it. I drilled and tapped mine with the turbo in place and have had no problems, although others will remove the turbo just in case. You can get all your gauge stuff, plus the banjo bolts and boost bolt from a place like Geno's Garage, or Piers, or some local shop. I think autometer has a pod for the trucks with the tweeters, but I may be wrong.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:59 PM

I thought the "53" blocks were only in the 98.5 and 99's?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Iwantadodge

If you look in my photo gallery, at the picture of the intake, you can see in the background where to install the pyro probe. I will take some more pictures tomorrow so you can see much better. I installed mine with the turbo on, and haven't had any problems.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:29 AM

Go to the Diesel Injection Service web site. You can get everthing you need there at good prices plus you can download instructions to install all your guages. The website is at www.thedieselpage.com.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

You can see how I plumbed my lift pump fuel pressure gauge on the cheap in my gallery.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:12 AM

Keep us posted on the progress I feel excited with ya! Like Im starting on my baby again!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 PM

iwantadodge.........I don't think it's so much we want to know, as much as you want to tell. But be proud of what you bought. A lot of folks bought fords.

..Preston..
Old 05-30-2006, 05:21 PM

SO: If you can not find a 2 digit Block casting Number
it's a Mexican block and thats good????
Old 05-30-2006, 06:03 PM

Yeah, whats with the block number thing? I'm going to look at an 01 ctd this saturday and i need to know everything that i need to be looking for as far as what would help me know to stay away from buying it. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know.

Quick Reply: Well picked up my 01 last night......