2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Water Pump Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump Leak

I'm starting to get small amounts of fluid leaking out around sides of water pump. I'm assuming gasket must be bad and whole water pump should be replaced. I was just wondering what all is involved in replacing water pump on these trucks, and if it's very difficult?

Is the Gates replacement pump that Geno's sells pretty good that's $35.00. I noticed Dodge wants $295 for their water pump. Do you have to buy the water pump seal separately or does it come with a new one? You don't have to drain the coolant when you do this do you?

Thanks for help or suggestions.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't replaced my pump yet but do a search on it. There was a thread a month or so ago. Supposedly it is super easy.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Super easy to replace the water pump, remove the belt and two bolts it's out, you do have to drain most of the coolant to do it, I would get a pump from Cummins, usually way cheaper than dodge, and better quality than aftermarket parts, but I can't speak for waterpumps haven't had to do mine yet
Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 PM

thanks for the information. do you guys have any idea why the fluid leaking out around the water pump would be a brownish color....like it's dirty or corroded.....i use fleetcharge coolant that is a pink color so i don't know why it would be a brown color.....i've checked the coolant level and it is fine.....

i need to use the truck this week just to go back & forth to work so hopefully i'm not hurting anything by driving it until i can change the water pump....it definitely is not overheating or anything....
Old 10-23-2011, 11:13 PM

I got one more dumb question.....Is there anything I could damage by continuing to drive the truck with the water pump leaking.....As long as the pump is functioning the was it's supposed to and the coolant level is good it should be fine? Right? It's probably just going to be a week before I can get to changing it.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by mstep3
I got one more dumb question.....Is there anything I could damage by continuing to drive the truck with the water pump leaking.....As long as the pump is functioning the was it's supposed to and the coolant level is good it should be fine? Right? It's probably just going to be a week before I can get to changing it.
Take the tension off the belt and check the pump for side play. My pump had made some marks on the base of the block,it was toast when I found out. I had replaced the rad and checked the water pump just so I would not have issues. I`am glad I did when I saw the pump removed and found the scoring at the base of the pump. I would rather change the pump in a warm shop than on the road.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:35 AM

I hope for your sake it is the water pump. I had a brownish wetness around my water pump so I changed it, everyone is right they are very easy to change. Mine turned out not to be the water pump it was the front cam housing gasket leaking, a major problem to fix.

2002 Q/C 2500 4x4