2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Wanting New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting New Paint

im thinking of getting a new paint job on the truck. i wet and got a quote today from a local shop around here. They were running a special $570. after some minor body work my quote can out to $830 with tax. this is for any color i want. i guess it come with a 3 year warrenty. does this sound to chep. i really want that new dodge electric blue. and i want it evry were. (door handles, bumpers, mirrors) he said it would be 100 more to do the under side of the hood and the door jams. what do you guys think.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds about $3000-$4000 off.
Really, a professional 2 stage paint job is somewhere in the $3500-$5000 rangs.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:48 PM

I just had work done on my wife's Dodge Caravan, a quart of paint for it (which also matches my truck) cost $150. So, I think $570 is not going to get you much for quality. It sounds like something you would regret.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 PM

Yeah that's really cheap if you want something that doesn't look like a two year old did it, I would stick away. I just got done painting a car with my friend, and the paint and primer alone cost over a grand. I had my hood done by a pro who does good work and the hood alone cost $500.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 PM

Sounds like the old Earl Scheib commercials, "I'll paint any car for just $99.95!" Have you ever seen one of those "cheap" paint jobs? It's basically wasting your money. I looked at a used truck one time that had a $99 paint job on it. OLots of overspray, the masking job was horrible, and I don't think they sanded or primered anyth8ing. I would have left it the original tan color, but they wanted it black in order to sell it. I told the salesman that it was a really bad paint job and he said it was the factory paint. I showed him that under the hood, the door jambs, and bottom of the rockers were still tan. He denied knowing anything about that. Save your money. Unless the truck is rusty, I would just leave it. I just bought a 96 2500 that's 2 tome moss green and driftwood. Not my favorite colors, but zero rust onthe truck. The paint is so-so, but it still shines, so I'm going to leave it for now.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:32 PM

You could come up to boston and drive for a month.. youd get free paint in no time!
Seriously though, most of the work in a paint job is in the prep. If you can do your own work you should be able to paint a whole truck cheaply.
Good time to cut out and replace rusty rocker panels or fill in any dents.
be careful of cheap paint jobs.. lots of places will throw a coat or two of enamel on and call it a day. thats not a good quality job. you need a clear coat for the paint to perform well over time.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Banned

I had my truck to 4 different body shops getting quotes. They were all between $3000-$5000. I'm scheduled to get it done after sled season, paying $4000 & it is gauranteed perfect or he will repaint for free. He did my sister in laws 2008 CRV & I swear it looks like nothing was repainted. Like everything else in life, quality cost money, get what you pay for.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Chapter President

I suppose it depends on where you live. I'm sure I could get a quality paint job around my tiny town here for $1000-1500. My standards though may be lower than others. I'll look for a paint job that's as good as factory, not looking for the mirror you can reach into gonna go the the car show paint job.

I'd check with the guy and ask to see some of his previous work. The small shops that I have been to had pictures of their work, custom and other. Ask to see some of their work in real life, maybe previous customers and such. Just because the big body shop charges $5000 for a paint job does not mean that just because you are paying $1000 that it will be bad. I know guys that do work and have a small shop. Their prices on what they do are cheaper than that of a big shop doing the same type of work. It's about what the guy is willing to do for the price. I weld on the side, my prices are cheaper than the big welding outfits. I'm happy with what I make off the jobs I do, my quality is still the same, I guarentee my work as long as the next guy.

I'd check with him, see if he's gonna paint the underside of the hood, door jams and so on. Look at his previous work, he has a good warranty from what you said, three years was it? If he paints it and your not satisfied then that should be a redo, the paint job should be to your satisfaction. I had to go out on a job to move some hinges on some gates cause the customer did not like the location of the hinges(where I put them in the first place) so I did it. No extra charge to customer, he was satisfied.

Basically, for the price it's worth checking into. Highest dollar figure does not always mean best quality. Like I said, if he enjoys what he does, provides quality work and is happy with the money he is gonna make off your job you should be alright. Just food for thought.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:06 AM

actually in body shop business highest dollar does mean quality my friend. i work in a body shop and see some of the prices of materials and it aint cheap! Im sure we spend close to 8 or 900 in just prep materials on an all over job. that doesnt include someone to prep it the paper to mask it someone to take it apart so there isnt alot of over spray someone to paint it paint materials and someone to put it back together! Dude im willing to bet you that "GOOD" clear alone is almost the cost of that paint job. Oh an yes that is a lil good warranty but ours is lifetime! to each his own!!