2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Voltmeter pinned high

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:00 AM
oww

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voltmeter pinned high

It happened first the other day during a heavy rain. The 'Check Gauges' light and bell came on and the volt gauge was pinned way over to the high side. After 20-30 seconds it fell back down to normal. I thought it was just a whole lot of water got up onto the belt.(I know, if the belt was slipping the volts should have gone down but I was hoping for an easy explanation and that things would fix themselves.)

Today it happened again. Dry as a bone out. At lower revs, the needle pinned twice and stayed for minutes. Then went to normal and was OK for the rest of the trip. All other gauges seemed fine, all electrical operated normal. Everything looked and sounded fine under the hood but I haven't had a chance to fo any checks 'cause it late at night now.

Any suggestions? Probably is the alternator going bad but does anyone have experience with this?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did it, it was a short in the alt. An auto elec. shop was able to fix it. Don't run it that way it will boil your battery's.

Floyd