2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

veggie oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
veggie oil

soo i was in town today at a restaraunt that got wiped out by a lil flood...and my buddy there give my 10.gal of new never opened veggie oil...and i dont no crap about that stuff i know people are runing that in there truck...but i dont know if i can just put it all in there with a half a tank of diesel or what....so how much do i need to mix with how much diesel?thanks (sorry if its a stupid question)
Old 05-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you can just throw it in there and fill up with diesel and it would work fine. Results not guaranteed. I know you can put in used motor oil and ATF and the truck will run fine and clean new veggie oil should be fine....
Old 05-07-2010, 06:51 PM

i wouldn't waste the oil, i suggest cook many many fried foods and then run it through a coffee filter and toss it in your truck. This is coming from a deep-fried food lover. I also toss in motor oil every so often (ever since my supply ran out) but for awhile i was running 30 or 40 % with the only difference being in smell.

just my .02, i think you'll be fine.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
If it's soybean oil you can pretty much throw it in and burn it. I've burned almost 100% Costco soybean oil in my 12 Valve before with no problem. However if it's that whitish fry oil you shouldn't burn nearly as much, as a percentage mixed with #2, because it solidifies at a lower temperature. You REALLY don't want to clog up your fuel system with waxy crud. Since it is coming up on summer, if it is indeed that whitish fry oil, you can mix it in your tank with a lot of #2 and it should be ok to burn. Of course if you don't want to take a chance you can always send it to me--I'll take care of it for you!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Most places that sell veggie oil conversion kits say that you need to heat the veggie oil to about 160 degrees to thin it out enough so that it burns completely or it will coke up your combustion chamber.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:59 PM

depending on the lift pump you have it will heat the fuel some... and yeah ive heard if you don't tow anything you'll build up carbon like nobodies business. I just emptied the last of my tcw-3 into my tank... about .5 gallon i think im going to look for some more sources of waste fluids. Peanut oil, ATF and Waste motor Oil, i think are the best things to run, in that order. IMO
Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 PM

so waste motor oil is ok too? never occurred to me to recycle it myself through the truck. I've got about 10 gal in waste oil now but if I can I'll meter it into the truck a few gallons at a time. Mobil one synthetic mostly....
Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 PM

People will argue with this, its personal preference. Everything has its pros and cons, and i suggest you learn as much as possible before you start pouring everything you see into the tank. This is a method i use to make sure the oil i'm running through is as clean as i can get it.
Again this is what i do and if you'd like to do as i do...
Just make sure you either filter(coffee) and/or let the oil settle for a day or so and only use the upper, thinner part. The rest goes to the auto shop. All the dirt, sludge, metal and clutch shavings settle to the bottom and the rest is good to burn. If you are pouring a lot in at once a gallon or two of gasoline really thins the oil well. I think i've had as much as 8 gallons of gasoline in my tank at once and only noticed mileage drop.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 PM

I use WVO and other used products but I filter everything through a three stage system with water separation capabilities and the final filter being a 1 micron filter. I've done this for a about a year and a half and after running trucks and tractors 3 to 1 (fuel to oil) my equipment runs better with the oil. I think most automotive filters only filter down to a 10 micron but I'm a little cautious.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 PM

I've been blending used vegetable oil with diesel#2 and sometimes gasoline in 1980 Mercedes (2 300 TD wagons) and a '99 E300 turbodiesel for several years. Also throw a 5-gallon pail or two of it into the '97 Dodge 5.9 12v. There's lots of information on the Web, such as Biodiesel.infopop site. Blending is a lot simpler than making biodiesel.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 AM

Wvo

I have 65,XXX miles on waste vegetable oil. The truck have 225,XXX on the clock. It is correct that the oil should be at least 160 degrees before injecting into the engine. I do not blend so I can not comment on that although, I have read many people doing it, just like on this forum.

I have 2 Mecerdes-Benz 300 series (83 & 84) that I also run on WVO. The motor and fuel delivery systems on those and my truck are IMHO some of the best engineered and overbuilt. The trucks stock lift pump was replaced with a FASS HPFP and I love it. The stock LP is still there and is just recirculating engine oil that I placed in the loop JUST in case the HPFP dumps on me. Have had the HPFP for 3 years now. Doing well. The MB has the original LP's They will suck a golf ball throgh a 50 ft garden hose.

Just my .02

David
Old 06-28-2010, 06:45 AM

I was just mentioning that quote from Full Metal Jacket the other day, and its still hilarious.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by trust
so waste motor oil is ok too? never occurred to me to recycle it myself through the truck. I've got about 10 gal in waste oil now but if I can I'll meter it into the truck a few gallons at a time. Mobil one synthetic mostly....
I burn waste motor oil all the time in my truck, but I tend to add no more than 1 gallon per tank. In the days before the common rail engines, Cummins said up to 5% was fine, and with a 35 gallon tank that would be 1.75 gallons of oil.

I would never try to burn synthetic oil--it just doesn't burn well at all and you'll be very disappointed.

Mike
Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 PM

i haven't noticed the difference...
Old 07-09-2010, 09:06 AM

Just keep an eye on your fuel filter. Changing a $20 filter for 2 gallons of waste oil can get expensive. I'm just sayin'....

Quick Reply: veggie oil