2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start

Well I have used up all of the advice and I still have a non-starting truck. I have checked and changed the blue wire, checked the fuseable link, checked the connections and tightened the battery cables, changed the fuel relay solenoid, and have ordered the heavy duty starter contacts, (waiting for them to arrive for installation) and still no starting. If there is anything else I should check please let me know. I still don't have the power to the center wire on the fuel shutdown solenoid. I beleive that comes from the starter. A cable shutdown modification is happening today.<br><br>Denny
Old 07-01-2003, 03:44 PM

Re:Truck won't start

I don't have the manual here but I believe the wire that goes to the pull coils in the sol. don't go through the relay the wire comes from the starter strait to the sol. if you have no power at the sol. then the wire has burned out and you will have to replace the wire it is fusible
Old 07-02-2003, 06:54 PM

Go with the cable! Does the truck start when you hold up the solenoid???
Old 07-02-2003, 08:04 PM

Yes it stays up when lifted manually with the switch on. The truck then shuts down when the key is turned off. I have to open the hood each time I want to start the truck.<br><br>Denny
Old 07-03-2003, 07:38 AM

Fisher, are yo sure that you replaced the correct wire from the battery to the solenoid? I think it is blue for a short way and then brown.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:45 AM

Yes you are right it is only blue down to the fuseable link about 4 inches and then goes to a large wire as you have indicated. That is the power to the relay and now that I have changed the relay and replaced the blue wire all of my wires going to the fuel shutdown relay are working like on my buddies truck which is my test for correctness. Everything should now work but the solenoid will not pull in and I ran a wire from the starter terminal direct to the fuel shutdown solenoid terminal and it blew the starter fuse so I believe the shutdown solenoid (1 circuit) is faulty. I ordered a Piers unit and it should arrive today and then I will know for sure.<br><br>Denny