2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Truck Quit Running

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Quit Running

I just bought this 2001 Dodge 3500 4x4 Flatbed dually in April. Two weeks ago, I got in the truck and started driving. I noticed the fuel pressure gauge wasn't up around 10 to 12 like before. I thought maybe the gauge thing was messed up.
I went ahead and drove the truck well it ended up dying on me. I thought I was out of fuel since the gauge was right on empty.

I got fuel in the tank and went to start it and it just cranked. I understand you have to bleed the lines if it is run out of fuel, but that's not my problem right now. I took the fuel filter out of the housing and it was only a 1/4 full. I have done the bump crank to get the lift pump to operate 25 seconds. I have done this 5 times plus. By doing this, should the fuel/water seperator housing fill up with fuel? If so, why is it not filling up?

A friend told me I shouldn't have a lift pump on the block and a fuel pump in the tank also. He said I should have one or the other. Is this true on a 2001 model.?

Since this happened two weeks ago, I did replace the fuel pump in the tank and still have same problem. Please help!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Have you checked for codes? Key on/off 3 times look at odo for codes....

The Fuel filter displaces a lot of fuel, that sounds about right if you pulled the filter.

Sounds to me like a vp44.

Check the codes and report.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Have you checked for codes? Key on/off 3 times look at odo for codes....

The Fuel filter displaces a lot of fuel, that sounds about right if you pulled the filter.

Sounds to me like a vp44.

Check the codes and report.
I forgot to mention I had the P1693 code. I know this is a companion code.
I will get a scanner when I get back from out of town tomorrow and see what other codes might be stored. I was really hoping you wouldn't say the VP44. I can hear the lift pump come on and run but fuel won't fill the canister.

Slug, if it is my injection pump. Is there anyway to put a 7100 on or whatever that injection pump is. I am not liking the VP much from what I read. Thanks for replying bud!
Old 05-27-2014, 01:21 AM

I haven't seen an in tank pump coupled with a block mounted pump. I supposed it's feasible to use a block mounted pump as a booster since the in tank pumps are a bit scarce on pressure. More commonly folks put one on the frame rail. IMHO the filter vessel should fill during the bump. Multiple bumps for sure. If the vessel isn't filling then your VP44 is never seeing fuel.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
If you haven't been able to get your filter to fill up don't freak out over the VP just yet.

Have you confirmed that you still have a block mounted lift pump?

I don't believe the in tank pump will push past a faulty block mounted pump with a hoot.

Normally they will put the bypass block on the engine when converting.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
If you haven't been able to get your filter to fill up don't freak out over the VP just yet.

Have you confirmed that you still have a block mounted lift pump?

I don't believe the in tank pump will push past a faulty block mounted pump with a hoot.

Normally they will put the bypass block on the engine when converting.
Yes, I have the block mounted lift pump. I can bump the key and pump will run 25 seconds.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM

Update 5-29-2014

I got a scanner and the P1689 code came up with the P1693. No Communication Between ECM and Injection Pump Module.

I don't want to jump and say I have a bad injection pump just yet. I have a Power Puck that came with the truck. I am going to remove the tuner and see what happens.

Last edited by 6spd05Dually; 05-29-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Entered wrong P Code
Old 05-29-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spd05Dually
Update 5-29-2014

I got a scanner and the P1689 code came up with the P1693. No Communication Between ECM and Injection Pump Module.

I don't want to jump and say I have a bad injection pump just yet. I have a Power Puck that came with the truck. I am going to remove the tuner and see what happens.
Good plan. Remove the tuner, then make absolute sure your lift pump(s) is/are working to provide positive pressure to the fuel filter. Bleed the system well and hopefully that's the end of the problem. A temporary fuel pressure gauge would be a great asset in verifying the lift pump is working.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
You need to put a fuel block on engine where original lift pump was. I would also load test the power and ground to injection pump using a headlight bulb, the injection pump relay is notorious for setting this code.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:03 PM

Update:

I removed the power puck 7154 from truck. I checked the plug for the fuel pump in tank and it's getting power. I pulled the hose from the lift pump to the Fuel Pressure Test Port(Inlet) and bumped the key to activate the 25 second run. There is no fuel getting to the test port. None, dry as a bone.

Either that lift pump is bad, plugged, or I got an air leak somewhere in the line. I replaced the pump in the tank so I know it's good. I was told I shouldn't have both lift pump and electronic pump in tank. I am attaching two pics of the lift pump that I have. Does this one look like the stock cummins lift pump? Excuse the dirt. Truck was in oil field.
Attached Thumbnails Truck Quit Running-20140531_165927.jpg   Truck Quit Running-20140531_170230.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
From the pics I can't tell if that is a dealer installed block off plate or the stock lp.

If you have a spot air can get in, fuel should get out when the pump is running. I would trace the fuel line from the top of the tank to the area below your filter housing there to ensure it is good.

An outside mounted lp cannot draw fuel thru the in tank lp. If yours has both, then the in tanker was supplying the block mounted lp which sent it along to the filter and vp....

My earlier comment was that if you pull the filter out of the housing 1/4-1/2 full of a canister should be about right...

I would ditch the in tank pump and block mounted pump for a FASS 90gph model and mount it as the directions from FASS advise...

And yes, you can put a p7100 on a 24 valve ISB, but it's expensive. There are some threads addressing this in the performance and accessories section IIRC.