2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Truck "bounces" on freeway...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck "bounces" on freeway...

Are my shocks blown or is this normal? Driving on the highway (empty with a camper shell) my truck bounces so much it's hard to keep my foot steady on the pedal. The faster I drive, the worse it is. Now if the asphalt is really smooth then it's ok, but there are those parts of highway where the asphalt is "segmented," if you know what I mean. Like horizontal lines every 15 feet or so. Those are the worst. I'm running yellow Bilstein shocks all around. They're 8 years old or more. It was really annoying driving today so I'm hoping there's a way to make it better.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:22 PM

It sounds as if a shock, or shocks are going and/or gone. You may be able to check by giving a quick hard push downward on the bumpers and watching how quickly the truck settles down to it's resting position. If the truck continues to go up and down a few times before settling, then the shocks are probably going/gone. It's a primative way of checking, but, it does work. The only problem you may face checking it that way is these trucks have pretty stiff suspensions, so, you'll have to give a hard push to get them to oscillate. It does sound like your describing a worn shock(s) though.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
my money is on a tire out of ballance or a broken belt in the tire !
Old 09-21-2008, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hercules
It sounds as if a shock, or shocks are going and/or gone. You may be able to check by giving a quick hard push downward on the bumpers and watching how quickly the truck settles down to it's resting position. If the truck continues to go up and down a few times before settling, then the shocks are probably going/gone. It's a primative way of checking, but, it does work. The only problem you may face checking it that way is these trucks have pretty stiff suspensions, so, you'll have to give a hard push to get them to oscillate. It does sound like your describing a worn shock(s) though.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Originally Posted by oldblues
hi
my money is on a tire out of ballance or a broken belt in the tire !
Naw, can't be the tires. All 4 are brand new Bridgestones and I've experienced unbalanced tires before. The bouncing I'm experiencing seems more of a shock issue. Although, you never know. You could be right.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Chapter President

What you are fighting is the length of the trucks wheelbase and the spacing of the cracks in the road. Not much you can do to fix those conditions. Like you said on asphalt the truck rides smooth. Mine bucks like a bronco on the "right" road.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 AM

Drive Faster . It seems to help mine when on poorly spaced break joints. I wonder if the state patrol would believe that ?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:49 AM

If possible lower tire pressure to a safe lower level. It may help. 2500 & 3500 suspensions work best with a significant load on them. 1500 can survive with no load. JMHO My 3500 almost always has 1000 pounds of cargo and generally more.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

Mine also bounced like crazy, my poor wife had to hold herself (LOL), but it is smooth as silk now that it has a pretty heavy cab high camper shell on it along with a few tool boxes. Make all the difference in the world.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
California freeways are the only roads I've been on that have that problem,especially between vacaville and Vallejo... my solution was to slow way down (45MPH pulling a trailer)
Old 09-21-2008, 11:04 PM

Well just got back from being on the road again. A little better this time. Last time I was driving 75 mph, this time about 70. Still bounced pretty good but I'm used that much by now. The remote for my stereo went under the seat so I had to use the buttons on the deck and with all the bouncing I pushed the wrong buttons a few times. lol...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 AM

I wonder if you can tell my truck bounces if you see it from the outside. I looked at some newer 3/4-ton Chevys and Fords on the road and the beds didn't look like they were bouncing.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Check your rims for roundness. Dad's 94 had one that was 3/16ths out of round and two at 1/8th! New tires can also have flawed construction, don't discount that. Check'em out for your own safety.

There are a few roads around here that get my truck buckin pretty good but I'm usually loaded down with at least 800# so its not as bad as when I'm empty.

One old school method to id a potential problem is have a buddy drive it while you ride alongside and watch for the culprit tire/wheel or whatever. You can see an out of balance/out of round tire pretty easily.

Kurt
Old 09-23-2008, 11:35 AM

I think a lot of the bouncing is the very high spring force on the rear leafs with no load in the back.
If you went down to a softer leaf pack youd be better off, until you went to haul heavy.
The only solution I can think of is a soft leaf pack, good shocks and air bags for the heavy stuff only.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:56 PM

I had/have the same problem even after replacing the shocks.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ks#post1851922
Old 09-23-2008, 02:02 PM

This is comedy. At least Im not the only one, lol. I had the same experience, new shocks did nothing...nothing at all. I'm wondering if tires make a difference, do most of you use the 10ply rated tires. load range "d" or whaterver 80 psi max. Im thinking if I got lower rated tires next time, like you would use on a 1500 truck if it would make a difference.

Mark

Quick Reply: Truck "bounces" on freeway...