2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Trouble shooting 2001 Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Trouble shooting 2001 Fog Lights

Well been a ford man my whole life until now, my girl friend has a 2001 Dodge Ram.

Trying to help her out with Fog lights.

The don't come on. Bulbs are good, tested them and they are ok with direct connections. I am not getting juice through the harnes.

Any tips.

Second, does anyone have a graphic of fuse panel(s)?

My Ford has a panel inside and a Power distribution box under the hood.

I don't have a diagram for her truck and to be frank the panel is small so I am assuming there is another.

Dave
Old 01-08-2005, 06:59 PM

check this...

The harness connector is under and behind the front bumper. My fogs wouldn't come on but all fuses were good and switches checked out ok too. The connector from the fogs to the harness seemed ok but had pulled apart enough that it looked fine but was actually disconnected. Otherwise, when you pull the fog-light switch on, do you get the indicator on the switch itself?
Old 01-08-2005, 07:02 PM

Dave when you pull the cover to the fuse box (not the Power Distribution centre) there a fuse diagram on the underside of the plastic cover.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:27 PM

Re: check this...

Originally posted by mamm7215
The harness connector is under and behind the front bumper. My fogs wouldn't come on but all fuses were good and switches checked out ok too. The connector from the fogs to the harness seemed ok but had pulled apart enough that it looked fine but was actually disconnected. Otherwise, when you pull the fog-light switch on, do you get the indicator on the switch itself?
Yes on the indicator light, no on power comming thru the harness.

Volt meater reads zero with switch on at both lamps.

Lamps are good light fine with a 12 volt direct source.

Is there a Relay in the distro center?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:15 AM

yes

There is a relay in the PDC near the drivers side battery. You can swap with any other similar relay in there that works to see if the relay is the prob. There are also fuses in there to check. Otherwise, check the fuses in the fuse panel by the drivers side door. Also, did you check the connector behind the bumper?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:19 AM

Had a problem with mine while under waranty. I had dealer installed lights, and when the lights went out, the dealer found the switch bad. Guess there was a batch of bad ones in 98, and the dealer used the switch he had on the shelf, turned out to be one of the bad ones. Might be something on those lines....
Old 04-09-2005, 06:55 PM

What if the indicator light does NOT come on? On my 99, the fog lights also will light up if I put 12v directly to them, but they do not come on when I pull out the switch. (Have tried parking light position, High, and Low beam positions all) I have checked all the fuses, swapped relays with one that known to work, still no fog lights(or indicator light).
Old 04-09-2005, 08:24 PM

I just fixed mine few days ago.
Thjere is a connector under front bumper, check power there (2 wires only) then they splice a little further down.

I had one of the - (negative) wires pinched and broken inside insulation, impossible to see....it took me 2 hours to find it.
Have patience and follow/test wiring from fog lights uphill to power block.

I assume a rock hit the wrong spot hard (what are the chances ????) and damaged the wire.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Banned

mamm7215 is on the money. It is actually the harness that splits and goes to each of the lamps. $26 at the *********** and 5 minutes to replace. The wire going into the plug itself loosens and causes the problem.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:07 PM

you don't have the high beams on do ya
Old 04-11-2005, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked all the connections at the connections at the front bumper and they were all ok. I found that if I shorted one of the connections going to the fog lamp relay in the PDC under the hood to ground, that the fog lights would come on. (It was either pin 1 , or pin 2 on that relay, which ever one has 12v on it) This showed me that the wires to the lights were working ok. So the only thing left for my situation was the headlight switch. I checked it with an ohm meter and sure enough the leads on the two wire connector (for the fog lights) did not short when the fog light switch was pulled out. I didn't want to spend the $65 for a new switch, because that could just about buy me a half a tank of fuel these days. So I took the switch apart(carefully cause things will fly everywhere if not) and I found there's a small little simi circle sping metal thingy that had poped off the end of the switch. I pushed this back on and applied some epoxy to help it stay on. After putting it all back together the fog light finaly worked!! If any one thinks they have a simular problem, proceed at your own risk, because it would be easy to totaly mess up the switch and loose your headlights untill you buy a new switch! Also I did the short pins 3 & 5 ( http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/electric/headlight.htm ) mod at on the fog lamp relay while I had it out so that the fogs lights work with both the high beams and low beams.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Trouble shooting 2001 Fog Lights

Originally posted by ArbrnEngr
Well been a ford man my whole life until now, my girl friend has a 2001 Dodge Ram.

The don't come on. Bulbs are good, tested them and they are ok with direct connections. I am not getting juice through the harnes.

Any tips.

I don't have a diagram for her truck and to be frank the panel is small so I am assuming there is another.

Dave
Us Dodge men are smart.... We don't need no stinking fuse panel graphics
Old 04-13-2014, 03:12 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by ArbrnEngr

Any tips.

Dave
There is an inline fuse below the power distribution box mine was blown and now they work great!