2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

transfer case vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case vacuum

I am trying to find out why my truck won't come out of 4WD. I have checked and replaced the rubber vacuum boots that connect plastic to steel vacuum lines from the acuator on the front axle to the transfer case. I then started to track a rubber vacuum line from the transfer case going towards the engine that ended as a steel line on top of the bell housing area....nothing was attached. I then found a small (3/16?) green plastic vacuum line located on the drivers side of the bell housing with some type of weird plastic reducer on the end of it that I assume should be attached to the steel vacuum line on the bell housing but I don't know how because a part of it must be missing. I can figure out how to connect them together directly but it this plastic fitting some type of vacuum regulator and is it essential to put something like it back in?

I hope this fixes my 4WD problem. If it doesn't, how often do the vacuum acuators on the front axle go out? Is there any way of checking the acuator it without taking it apart?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:36 AM

I just went and looked at a buddies truck and found that my weird plastic fitting is actually a vent, not part of the 4WD vacuum system. Guess I'm gonna have to do some digging in and around the engine compartment and try to find a vacuum line that is disconnected. I just love trying to solve these 1994 Dodge mysteries!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:10 PM

put your truck in 4wd and swap the vaccuum lines at the actuator on the axle since you know you have vaccuum on that side it will pull your disconnect, you may have to jack up the front tire to get it unbound so it can unlock. if it does unlock you know you have a vaccuum leak in the other line, if it does not you need to look twards the actuator.

hope this helps
greg