2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Train horn and car alarms.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigRedG
While interesting none of these options will help jmlcolorado when they are removing his tools from the bed of the truck.
agreed- and there's nothing short of the owner with a shotgun that will either. There are 2 Depots in my area well known for that- thieves hit trucks in broad daylight with people in the parking lot. Alarms and locks simply keep honest people honest.

Best bet is a solid locking bed cover (not a cap- they advertise cargo and tools), Take the name off your truck, and wire a hood switch from an alarm to the cap and/or tailgate to an auxiliary input on your alarm (all better alarms have multiple inputs). Oh yeah, get an internal tailgate lock- the external ones advertise you have something of value in the bed!
Alot of contractors here use caps (um, windows....) which advertise what you have, especially the contractor caps- solid steel with metal side doors that screem I have tools... They also commonly like padlocks and hasps to secure the cap rear window to the tailgate. Not only will a good swift blow from a hammer or a short prybar remove the hasp, google how easy it is to defeat a padlock (and you'll never rely on them again)
Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 PM

If you want security how about keeping your tools in a job-box either in the bed of your truck or at the jobsite. When I was framing, we put the generator, and our job box 40ft in the air with the terex lift truck and I took the plug out of the hydraulic pump every night, so even if you managed to start the engine without the key you couldn't move the boom without the right size plug, it would just pour oil out the cap.

Personally I would bolt a toolbox or job box in the bed of my truck, Weathergaurd makes some pretty strong boxes that take some hefty tools to crack, which takes time most thieves won't risk. The easiest line of defense I have is a Glock sticker in my back window, makes them think twice, and keep an extra guy on the lookout.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:47 PM

I spliced right into my factory horn wires fo mine, and works good for the alarm. I say go for it
Old 04-04-2008, 05:58 PM

It's too bad that we live in a world where you can't protect your stuff enough. I bought a van because I was tired of loading and unloading tools, tarps and totes every day. I leave the tarps and totes in the van along with some of the cheaper tools, and things too large/heavy to "smash and grab." I still take out my high dollar stuff like all my DeWalt power tools, and other stuff I'd rather not have to replace.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:11 AM

I know of one contractor who has never had any issues with their truck in 20 years- he drives a dodge caravan- an older one with the windows- no lettering. You look and just assumes it's another soccer mom.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Hi Everybody.
This is my first post, but I thought this would be a good place to "jump aboard". As you can see in my sig I have Nathan P3 horns (right off the top of a CP Rail Locomotive). And they are DEAFINING. I have them connected to the regular horn relay with an override to disable (in case I get pulled over). I have the factory security and one morning I didn’t turn the key in the lock enough and set the alarm off. I nearly jumped out of my skin!!! These are the real deal and unless you have been privy to hear them in person, words cannot describe how LOUD they are.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slowflyer2112
My ideal alarm would be to tap into the seat sensor for the seat belt and put aluminum foil under the fabric with an aluminum metal strip under the steering wheel cover and have them wired to one of those high voltage zappers. It would sound a silent alarm that would warn the intruder with a recording that he is caught and any attempt to leave the vehicular would ruin his whole day. The minute he tried to get off the seat it would zap him with JUST A LITTLE ZAP

I figure that I would have no problem removing them from the vehicle after they got zapped a few more times

Officer, I have no idea what is wrong with them, I swear, I found them like this

If you were doing this on a gasser, you could redirect the spark from the coil to that seat pad if the security switch wasn't flipped the correct direction. Solves two problems - car/truck won't start since the spark is redirected away from the engine and you won't have any trouble finding out who tried to steal your car. They'll be the ones with the high voltage rear end.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Welcome aboard
Johnny!

I recommend booby trapping your truck- if someone tried to steal it and you did booby trap it, from electrifying the seat to a shotgun shell under the seat you could be civilly or criminally liable, not to mention when you get in and forget to disarm the booby trap...... explain that shotgun would at the ER....
Old 04-07-2008, 02:23 AM

just run an extra line from your propane injection setup to a solenoid inside the truck, then wire it so it will open when the alarm is tripped, then wire a 15 second timer to one of those electronic BBQ grill ingitors. so you got 15 seconds to turn it off, or get blown up. even better, put a little timer on the dash with a countdown starting with 5 seconds left haha like in the movies you look at it and see you have just enough time to wish you hadn't done it, then bye bye.