2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Train horn and car alarms.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Train horn and car alarms.

So i've aquired a nice old three tone train horn. In my driving around and playing around with it, i've come to find that its pretty easy to set off nearly any car alarm i come in contact with

My thoughts are this. I drive around constantly with an 8' bed filled to the brim with tons of carprentry tools. Locals have informed me of a rash of break ins at our local Home Depot and neighborhoods where people are cleaning construction truck out of their tools.

This day in age has come to the ignorance of the typical car alarm squealing in the back of the parking lot. People hardly take notice. Well if my trucks getting taken advantage of i want EVERYONE to take notice.

So i figure a couple of spliced wires will convert the train horn into an alarmingly loud "look over here" alarm this should be fun.

what do you guys think?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 PM

That would be a funny sight, if it set off the other alarms around you.
Good luck hookin that up, except wouldn't the air supply run out eventually, depending on how your air is hooked up that would be a problem.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 PM

indeed it would. but with a five gallon tank i think it last long enough to attract attention. plus a dont think i would want it going off for twenty four hours straight. the factory horn is easly blocked out by the air horns so i would assume if they both were going off and the air horns ran out of their supply the factory horn would continue the job in a weaker manner.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

o its gonna be extra fun to ride down your street on a bike with a roll of newspaper and just a light whump will get that goin, at any hour of the night....... neighbors are going to love you.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 PM

crap. good point
Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 PM

What horns did you get? Nathan or leslie?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Originally Posted by mikmaze
o its gonna be extra fun to ride down your street on a bike with a roll of newspaper and just a light whump will get that goin, at any hour of the night....... neighbors are going to love you.
Actually, you could rig it up so it goes off only when the door is opened. Loud noises!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 PM

rig it up so it goes off only when the door is opened
Second this...wow what a shock thats going to be!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Be a shock times a million. I can just see his heart blasting through his chest.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:26 AM

Being in the home alarm business i have often thought about jimmy rigging my own truck alarm system that would be complete unorthodox to any thief. I would install door contacts on both front doors and fuel cap door connected to a latching relay. And a simple enable/disable switch located somewhere secret on the exterior. That way if any thief opened a door the relay would latch and sound the horn until reset from the switch. All in all it would cost me under $50 i think. I would also take it one step further and run the starter wire through a switch. Which would completely negate a possible hot wire attempt.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 AM

My ideal alarm would be to tap into the seat sensor for the seat belt and put aluminum foil under the fabric with an aluminum metal strip under the steering wheel cover and have them wired to one of those high voltage zappers. It would sound a silent alarm that would warn the intruder with a recording that he is caught and any attempt to leave the vehicular would ruin his whole day. The minute he tried to get off the seat it would zap him with JUST A LITTLE ZAP

I figure that I would have no problem removing them from the vehicle after they got zapped a few more times

Officer, I have no idea what is wrong with them, I swear, I found them like this

Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Chapter President

It would be like dominoes. Train horn sets off alarm with sets off all the other nearby alarms. Awesome
Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear a train a commin...
Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by chainzaw
Being in the home alarm business i have often thought about jimmy rigging my own truck alarm system that would be complete unorthodox to any thief. I would install door contacts on both front doors and fuel cap door connected to a latching relay. And a simple enable/disable switch located somewhere secret on the exterior. That way if any thief opened a door the relay would latch and sound the horn until reset from the switch. All in all it would cost me under $50 i think. I would also take it one step further and run the starter wire through a switch. Which would completely negate a possible hot wire attempt.
Most alarms sense the interior light circuit which already does the same thing. You could wire the door switch circuit to trip a relay when voltage is applied- does the same thing without needing to install any more switches. IOW- door opens, switch closes, voltage flows to the dome light and anything else in the circuit, like the control side of a latching relay.....

Check your truck- many have anti-roll over ***** in the fuel pipe which means you can not siphon fuel out so no need for locking the gas cap.

If you want to prevent the vehicle from being stolen wire a latching relay into the ignition circuit (the feed to the starter solinoid) to open when power is lost, then wire the latch side to a circuit on the vehicle, either a momentary button hidden somewhere or an existing circuit (cigg lighter, wipers, etc). That's a trick that's been around since the 40's. Doesn't stop break ins, but they're not driving the vehicle anywhere- and if you wire it correctly hot wiring under the dash won't defeat it.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:37 AM

While interesting none of these options will help jmlcolorado when they are removing his tools from the bed of the truck.

Motion detectors are ok, but if the wind blows too hard the whole neighborhood will know and hate you.

Can you setup some sort of extended bed so that they tools will be out of sight? or a bed cover / cab thats attached to the alarm... that would work; but in reality I had an old car stolen even with an alarm.

Insurance and documentation on the tools so you can get new ones if something happens would be the first step I would take.

Quick Reply: Train horn and car alarms.