2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

trailer tow mirrors stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trailer tow mirrors stuck!

My driver's side is fine... my pass. side is stuck. Froze up. won't adjust. What gives. My buddie's '01 is the same way... Pass. side trailer tow mirror stuck. I was wondering if there was a way to free it up to make it adjust?? They are NOT power mirrors. I haven't taken it apart to look at it because that will most likely require the glass breaking...again! I'm gonna wait to get a piece of glass for it and wait to see what I can find out on here. I just don't really feel like buying a new mirror.

Thanks,
-Ryan
Old 01-10-2006, 05:36 PM

nothing?? nobody has had a mirror apart??
Old 01-10-2006, 05:46 PM

not sure why they are stuck but u can get replacement glass for like 5-10 bucks at most glass shops that will glue it for you

whats the temp out there? any sand or ice behind it?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:09 PM

Before I busted the glass, and it was not frozen like midwest's suggest. I would spray some form of penetrating oil in and on it for a few days to see if it would lossen up. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 01-11-2006, 01:29 PM

Mine are the same. I thought it was rust at first, but as it turns out, the ball pivot joint is plastic with a spring washer providing pressure. I found this out when the glass popped off while I was trying to adjust the pass side. Didn't break so I glued it on with silicone sealant.
Anyway, I took one of those WD40 straws and ran it under hot water to put a bend in it so I could spray lube behind the mirror and onto the ball joint. I tried silicone spray and PB Blaster. It was only a "little" better.
I think the best fix is to: Remove the glass (hopefully it just pops off in one piece); Remove the spring washer; Disassemble the glass mount from the base; Apply wax (parafin, candle, something thick); Reassemble.
I did not do this but the stiction feels like a stuck door in a house and rubbing wax at the friction point can usually help that.
If the glass falls off the drivers side I am going to try it.
In the end, I got the mirrors adjusted as best for me in the folded down position and I leave 'em that way...even towing. Its still better than add-on mirrors but defeats the purpose of having these great tow mirrors in the first place.
PS-I also knocked off the spot mirror on the pass side duing the same adjusting session but it hit the road and broke in 2. That was good because I just glued it together and reinstalled to the base with silicone sealant.