2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

trailer mirror conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trailer mirror conversion??

Anyone ever try to install/modify the electrical trailer mirrors from a 02 &up to fit an 01? Or is it impossible?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Yup I did it. Here is the link how to do it
http://www.klenger.net/dodge/2nd-gen...g-mirrors.html
Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 AM

I almost for got. The new mirrors from a 05 and newer truck a not the same. They will go on the 2nd gen bases but they are made a little different. If you are fussy like me they will not be acceptable. If you just want power tow mirrors and are not concerned with looks they will work fine.I bought mirrors on ebay from trucks years 02-04 they worked fine and looked great.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned

I just put the **** power mirrors on for $150 for both of them. I like them alot, no shakes and they are power. You could also get the 2nd gen. Mopar tow mirrors for around $200, but they are manual. No messing with 2 sets of mirrors, and you can sell the others on Ebay.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:38 AM

I did the conversion about a year and a half ago, and a I love them do it if you can. I bought 04 towing mirrors with power and 2001 towing mirrors with no power, switched the bases installed a set of 01 bases with 04 heads on my truck and sold a set of 04 bases and 01 heads on ebay they both look identical you could never tell the mirrors I sold on ebay weren't factory non power mirrors for a 04 truck.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I will take a look at converting some 02-04 as well. BG
Old 07-05-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Hi 2noyz4u. I've converted everything but the mirror heads on mine. Talk to the guys at Gundies if you need the A/C panel for the mirror heat button if your truck doesn't already have it. Also you have to tweak the wiring a bit as the 3rd gens have a different connector. Make sure you get the 03-05 power/heated tow mirrors. They changed the arm on the 06 on up and they don't fit the 02 bases anymore. PS Nice truck, I see it parked at your work when I'm getting supplies. Kurt
Old 07-06-2007, 12:27 AM

Kurt, good to hear from a fellow Bellinghamster. What do you mean converted all but the mirrors? I already have power and heat. Swing by the shop and show me what you did if you have time. I am back next week. BG
Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 AM

I've just added the mirror controller and changed the A/C panel for one with the 'heat' button. The wiring was all there I just didn't have the power mirrors stock. Mine came w/ the manual tow mirrors. I'm gonna get the mirror heads next and convert them to my bases. If you already had power/heated from the factory you don't need anything but the mirror heads. I'll stop by. Kurt
Old 07-07-2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by kurtaing
I've just added the mirror controller and changed the A/C panel for one with the 'heat' button. The wiring was all there I just didn't have the power mirrors stock. Mine came w/ the manual tow mirrors. I'm gonna get the mirror heads next and convert them to my bases. If you already had power/heated from the factory you don't need anything but the mirror heads. I'll stop by. Kurt

i have the manual tow mirrors stock on my 02. my brother-in-law has some electric ones off of an 05 he is going to sell me. you said you added the mirror controller. does this mean you bought the switch that is for a 2nd gen? if so where did you find it and how much was it. also, for the second gens, the heat button for the mirrors is in the a/c control panel? if this is the case, couldnt you just add an on off switch under the dash or something?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:54 PM

To Stevenag03, I bought the 2nd gen mirror controller from dodgeparts.com and I think it was 26 bucks. And, yes, you could add a switch, but the stocker is tied into the central timer unit and shuts off after a few minutes and also gives it a stock look. Had the wiring for this not already been in place I probably would've just added an aftermarket switch and relay, though.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 AM

To Stevenag03, I bought the 2nd gen mirror controller from dodgeparts.com and I think it was 26 bucks. And, yes, you could add a switch, but the stocker is tied into the central timer unit and shuts off after a few minutes and also gives it a stock look. Had the wiring for this not already been in place I probably would've just added an aftermarket switch and relay, though.
where did you get the A/C panel? same place? what else is this central timer unit used? i know what it does(cuts the heat off after 'X' amount of time, but why would my truck have it if it doesnt already have power/heated mirrors?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:11 AM

do you have a part number for the mirror controller?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:11 PM

The controller for the mirror heads is Mopar #56021311. I don't have a part # for the A/C panel. I got it from a junk yard. it has button in the lower left corner that says mirror on it and cost me 75 bucks. I think its good for 98.5-02 Rams. The CTU is the in the trucks main computer they all have it.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do any of you have the wiring schematic so the 2nd gen truck wires operate the 3rd gen mirrors?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: trailer mirror conversion??