2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Towing Mirror replacements

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Mirror replacements

The convex mirror in the corner of my passenger side towing mirror fell off and broke.

Went to the dealer and found out they want to replace the entire mirror to the tune of $270+. That seems a bit steep to me. I did a search here and found a site someone had found earlier that will sell the flat glass for $26 but the convex is a special order and will cost $97 (better but still a little expensive).

I suppose the easy thing would be to get one of those round stick on convex mirrors - but there has to something better than that.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,

George
Old 01-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Check your local yellowpages for a glass/mirror shop.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mirrors on our truck were loose from the day we took it home. Every time we towed the trailer and adjusted the mirrors I expected them to fall off. They flexed away from the backing a lot. I had been telling the wife I needed to take it to the dealer for them to check it out before the warrenty expired. It's a poor design, the mirrors are held to a plastic backing with RTV type adhesive. Well the driver's side finally fell out and broke and, of course, it was out of the basic warrenty. We have the extended warrenty but guess what? It doens't cover glass and trim. When I showed the service tech how poorly the other side was she went to Dodge with it. They offered to replace the mirror on their time and money. The passenger's side I ended up taking off and reattaching with a lot of RTV adhesive, more then the couple of spot of adhesive Dodge applied. Don't know if my complaint to Dodge will improve the next generation of mirrors or not, hopefully it will. But the least you can do if you find yours are loose is pry them off the backing carefully and reattaching with a full layer of adhesive. You might want to also give the swivel point a little lube to make it easier to adjust, ours seemed to almost ratchet when adjusting them. A shot of WD-40 when the glass was out has made them much easier and still stay in place on the road.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anyone else notices a loose mirror pull it off and stop by an auto glass shop and have them adhere it back in place with urethane. It WON'T come off ever again.