2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will also say Cooper makes good tires, especially for the money. The only complaints I have ever had about them is that the A/Ts are HORRIBLE in mud. But they wore real well, as did the H/Ts that we had on my wifes 4Runner...
Old 03-01-2006, 07:44 PM
JAX

Originally Posted by plow
what is a good tire size to fill up the fender well. I have 245/75/r16 on now but am looking for a taller tire. Doesn't have to be wider but something to fill up my fender well.
Check into the tire size 255/85R16. This size tire is great, and will fit on the stock trucks. It is 33-34 inches tall depending on manufacturer, and around 9 inches wide. You can also find them in an E rating. And if you have 4:10's you'll like them even more!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:16 PM

toyo open countrys a/ts are good tires and wont break the bank to bad. dont know if this is any kind of a comparison but my mom went 92k on a subarban.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:55 PM

TX the 305s will fit fine. The previous owner had them on my truck with stock rims and suspension. A little bulge in the sidewalls but other than that they were a good fit. I did put 265s on her though as I didnt want a huge tire.

Check the Kuhmo tires out. They are pretty cheap and seem to have a good revue from the people who run them. I got 4 load range Es for $511 out the door on an AT tire!

I always hated cooper tires (also make futuras for pep boys). Every set I have driven had weak sidewalls. Put a load on them and I could actually see the rim walking around in the tire with 80 PSI in them. Our trucks at work have coopers and the things will get stuck on grass pointing down hill! Real embaressing when a 60 foot bucket truck (2WD) can make it through a mud pit and you are stuck in the grass
Old 03-02-2006, 01:12 AM

hmm, I have had great luck with my commercial TA's.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by robert chilton

I always hated cooper tires (also make futuras for pep boys). Every set I have driven had weak sidewalls. Put a load on them and I could actually see the rim walking around in the tire with 80 PSI in them. Our trucks at work have coopers and the things will get stuck on grass pointing down hill! Real embaressing when a 60 foot bucket truck (2WD) can make it through a mud pit and you are stuck in the grass
The only Coopers I had that got ANY traction, were the S/Ts I bought right before my rig got stolen. And they seemed to get GREAT traction on their one hunting trip. I should have clarified that I was mostly basing that on tread life, I had the A/Ts on a half ton Ram, and the H/Ts on a 4Runner Not exactly apples to apples...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:42 AM

check KUMHO TIRES,the are priced good and been holding up good for us,between myself and other family members we have them on about 12 different vehicles..
Old 03-02-2006, 10:49 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for Michelins (LTX's I guess?)

Whatever was oem on my truck was one awesome shoe, anytime you get almost 70+K out of tire on a 4X4 diesel truck, you've got a good tire.

I have seen them for about $730.00 out the door.

Pay now, or pay later when you're replacing some cheapos at 35,000 miles....
Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by rockwithjason
hmm, I have had great luck with my commercial TA's.

Are your the "TRACTION" or the "ALL-SEASON"? Mine are "ALL-SEASON". My ABS works fine but the tires don't grip enough for it to be effective. My Pathfinders where fine. In the rain yesterday the ABS was kicking in, but on dry ground they'll just grind flat spots if I don't control it.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...og/index_6.jsp

Bottom ones are mine.

Randy
Old 03-02-2006, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've run General Grabber AW's now the Ameritrac in 235-85-16, decent tire, quite, but nothing to write home about if your out in the field. $85 a piece at the time and I got just over 35,000 out of them, could have got more, but you know how kids are .

One truck here had Sumitomo HTR AT's 285-75-16's on it, nice tire IMO, got about 30,000 miles on them and they're right around 1/2 tread.

I had a set of worn out Cooper AT's on my 2000, now there's a set of Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. Deffinately not for running the road all the time. Good in the snow though. These are coming off and the Sumitomo's are going on.

The only Michelin I've ever run is a XPS Rib, terrible tire to put on a drive wheel, no traction at all in the rain. Looks like it'll wear just about forever. Good for the trailer I say.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mt Ram
I like Toyo M-55s. They last well and are tough. Great tires! Good traction too!
M-55s are probably the longest lasting tire you can buy but are rather aggessive. The least amount of miles I've gotten from a set is 90k.

I switched last fall to Toyo H/T (highway tire) what a world of difference compared to the M-55. Much quieter and smoother riding, designed for maximum mpgs. They look like they will probably last as long as M-55s.
more info> http://www.toyoeditor.com/opencountryht.html

The real ticket to long lasting tires is to use balance beads instead of a spin lead weight balance.
More info> http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html
Old 03-06-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
M-55s are probably the longest lasting tire you can buy but are rather aggessive. The least amount of miles I've gotten from a set is 90k.

I switched last fall to Toyo H/T (highway tire) what a world of difference compared to the M-55. Much quieter and smoother riding, designed for maximum mpgs. They look like they will probably last as long as M-55s.
more info> http://www.toyoeditor.com/opencountryht.html

The real ticket to long lasting tires is to use balance beads instead of a spin lead weight balance.
More info> http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html
I noticed on the Toyo site that for the M55 series LT255/85R16's that first of all they're a "D" rated tire, but only for 42lbs. less than the 10ply "E" rating on the LT235/85R16.... Also they don't list a weight rating for running duals for the 255 size. Any ideas why?
I currently have the Michelin LTX M/S (235/85-16) and they're great tires...almost 70k miles on 'em with a little bit left to go, but they're not cheap either.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:18 PM

Toyo's on all my vehicles open country a/t's long lasting great traction tires
Old 03-08-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by HiJenks
I agree with the Liberators at Wally World.
I have the 235/85s and they were right at $400 out the door with rotation and road hazard !
I know that Wally will eventually rule the world and I hate that but......

I agree with HiJenks and TxDiesel007. If you are trying to buy rubber on a budget the Liberators are a good deal. I have the 265's which were again right at four bills and they have been great. Quiet, good traction in Hoosier snow & ice, and seem to be wearing ok.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:18 AM

When I bought my truck(used) it had 285/75/16 Futura(PepBoys) mounted on the stock chrome wheels. The drove good on the road but did not have much traction in any slick stuff, mud or snow. They did last close to 50k and wore evenly although they were seldom rotated.

When it came time to replace them, I wanted something more agressive. I like the look of the meaty tires, and in the Serra Nevada warmer but deep snow the agressive tires do better.

If I could have afforded them I would have bought the Toyo M55's. But they were out of my budget.

I had read good things about the Kumho's and for the price seemed like a good deal, but before I orderd there MT's, I came accros a great deal on a set of 285/75/16 Firestone Destination MT's. I had them mounted on 16X8 Weld Wheel sidwinders and they look great, and are rated pretty high on Tire Rack. I siped them, and they have worked great in snow and ice. In the mud they are excellent! I store our 30' travel trailer in a friends back field, and after a week of rain it pulled it right through the mud!

I do drive a little more carefull when towing the trailer on the highway because I know these tires have less rubber contacting the ground, but it feels very safe and secure. And they stopped good during a panic stop too.

Also, I would not be too proud to get Wally tires since people on here seem to do well with them.

The 285/75/16 tires look good and fit with no lift. They also work fine with my 3.55 gears pulling a 8500Lb trailer.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations