2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Time for a new truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a new truck?

Well here is my delima, i love my dodge cummins but it needs alot of work. My truck needs alot of work to fix/make it how i want it(before aftermarket performance idems). My truck has extensive amounts of rust on the bed rocker panels hood both fenders under the cab and many are rusted threw(incuding a rusted hole under the cab). It needs alot of front end work with things getting worn out and just needing replaced, it needs a little body work excluding the rust, It needs new seats, a rear bumper, and to top it all off i am wanting the 5 sp in it instead of the auto but dont need it. Along with soem other small problems. So here is my question should i put the time and money into this truck and make it how i want it, or shall i go and trade it in on another one that doesnt need as much work? Is it really worth putting the time and money into it? Would i be making a mistake?

P.S. Does anyone have an extra cab or bed they would like to get rid of?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
NO, sell it upgrade to newer model
Old 01-20-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it needs quite a bit of work. Where are you located at? I might be interested in taking it off your hands for the right price.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 AM

I am located in S. Indiana. Ill try to get some pics posted but im at work right now. Its black and grey 2 tone long bed ext cab auto 210000, runs great.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
NO, sell it upgrade to newer model
Dont you dare think about going to a newer truck and leaving the 12v, you will more than likely regret that decision my friend, I know quite a few people who have went with newer trucks and then sold them to go back to a 2nd gen 12v. The trucks might be a little nicer as far as creature comforts but the engines nothing like what you got now.

I would say look for another 12v, a southern truck without any rust, thats what I did, thats probably a cheaper route than to do all the work to yours, especially if you are wanting to swap trannys. Just my .02
Old 01-20-2008, 11:07 AM

maybe i could find a cheap one with like no engine or somthing i can just use it for parts?
Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 AM

Thats a good idea too, that might be just as cheap if you got the time to do it
Old 01-20-2008, 11:26 AM

hmm i wonder how much i could get a scrapper for?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by digman
maybe i could find a cheap one with like no engine or somthing i can just use it for parts?
Good idea. I'm thinking when my 96 is worn out, I may remove the powertrain and install it into a different/newer truck. To me, the newer common rail systems in all brands of truck don't seem nearly as efficient, reliable or economical as the old 12 valves. Granted, they are definitely more refined and more of a pleasure to drive.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 PM

Thats alot to fix but luckily most of it bolts on, search the wreckers for hood, fenders, and box, and buy patch panels for the rockers. Thats probably what I would do. Then after you get it looking pretty start replacing worn front end parts.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by digman
Well here is my delima, i love my dodge cummins but it needs alot of work. My truck needs alot of work to fix/make it how i want it(before aftermarket performance idems). My truck has extensive amounts of rust on the bed rocker panels hood both fenders under the cab and many are rusted threw(incuding a rusted hole under the cab). It needs alot of front end work with things getting worn out and just needing replaced, it needs a little body work excluding the rust, It needs new seats, a rear bumper, and to top it all off i am wanting the 5 sp in it instead of the auto but dont need it. Along with soem other small problems. So here is my question should i put the time and money into this truck and make it how i want it, or shall i go and trade it in on another one that doesnt need as much work? Is it really worth putting the time and money into it? Would i be making a mistake?

P.S. Does anyone have an extra cab or bed they would like to get rid of?
Hmmm... seems like it is time to jack up the license plates & slip something new-er in between.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When its time for me to upgrade, I will either do a Fummins or a 1500 2wd Ram with my 12valve twin turbo.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:24 PM

Just find places that have rust free trucks. Here in Bend, Oregon there is not a spec of rust, it doesn't have to be "newer" truck as in year just new to you. Good luck on the hunt for a better truck.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:51 AM

thanks for all input
Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Chapter President

Hey Digman. Where in Indiana are you located? Close to Evansville? I know some good boneyards to get stuff. A paid off truck is better is to fix than payments for the next 5 years.

Quick Reply: Time for a new truck?