2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Time for batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for batteries

My batteries lasted 8+ years (factory)

What is everybody recommending?

I thought I saw something about dry cell batteries?

I plan on purchasing them this week. I also might upgrade the alternator to a larger capacity? Any thoughts?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had good luck with NAPA Legends.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:03 PM

I currently have two yellow tops. They have been in for almost two years.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:05 PM

I have 2 optima red tops that were in it when i bought it 2 years ago. Good luck so far with many starts every day and never cleaning the terminals.(not that i'm proud to say that)
Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 PM

It may seem like alot of money but I highly recomend you get an AGM (absorbed gass mat) battery of some type (optima, odyssey, powermaster, ect...), they have more power, last much longer, and they are completly sealed so corrosion is a thing of the past. Much better technology than the traditional wet cell batteries of the past IMO...

I just replaced mine with Sears Die Hard Platnium... They are an AGM like an optima or odyssey, they have more power than optima more warranty than optima, cost about the same, and they were rated #1 by comsumer reports, also they aren't near as spendy and an odyssey or powermaster.

just my 2 cents.....Josh
Old 12-30-2007, 12:10 AM

I had to buy a set recently for one of my trucks....cheaped out and went to Costco. Their batteries suck, save your money and get Optimas or Odysseys as already mentioned.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:07 AM

I have been looking at the Sears DieHard Platinum P-1 - Group 34 They are made by the same parent company as Odysseys. This one appears to have the same stats as the Odysseys 1500t for about $50 less.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have installed two Group size 65, 1000 CA / 850 CCA last month from Walmart for $64 apiece. They work just fine. I replaced the solenoid contacts in the starter too, and the truck never started better. For me the decision was, two for the price of one Optima, and Optimas are not invincible by any stretch, either. 3 year free replacement guarantee at any of the million of Walmarts anywhere, should the need arise is good to have too.
-P
Old 01-02-2008, 02:55 PM

RE: Walmart Group size 65, 1000 CA / 850 CCA

Need batteries today--decided try Walmart

Called, they said batt recc for my 98 12v CTD
is group 27N (doesn't sound right i will double check)

but that if I buy batteries that they don't have listed for my truck,
warranty is invalid--

anybody have comments?

thanks, Jenni
Old 01-02-2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by barngal6
RE: Walmart Group size 65, 1000 CA / 850 CCA

Need batteries today--decided try Walmart

Called, they said batt recc for my 98 12v CTD
is group 27N (doesn't sound right i will double check)

but that if I buy batteries that they don't have listed for my truck,
warranty is invalid--

anybody have comments?

thanks, Jenni
Actually, Group 27 IS the Correct battery size for your truck. Make sure you get 2 new ones. The group 65s will work for you as well. They are not as tall and are a little wider than the Group 27's.

I cant see why they would invalidate a warranty - 12 Volts is 12 Volts. The only thing really different is the size of the case (I think the Group 65 has a bit more output)
Old 01-02-2008, 03:03 PM

thanks Dr. Evil...

I just want to make sure I'm getting the strongest cca battery
(ok, Wal Mart style)
that I could--I didn't spec N27s yet and didn't know if they had same specs as a group 65 I called and I think they are equivalent

I have Optimas now, came with truck, wasn't impressed last time I bought new for my old truck so not inclined to try them again,
but would try Odessey if the Walmarts aren't reliable...

But for today I just need batteries.

thanks alot for the quick response!

Jenni
Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Interstate usually has a pretty good selection of Blems. Got two for a pretty good deal and they work great. Don't remember exact numbers...
Old 01-02-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought Optima Red Tops at Farm and Fleet for $129.00.
Best price around.
Picked up 3 of them, 1-for the wifes Benz diesel and 2-for my truck.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 PM

Wally world,AKA Wallmart. has been going with direct stock size on every thing from tires and batterys , to even spark plugs and wiper blades. The same goes for tires, if you want to put a bigger tire on your vehicle than came as stock, they will tell you to go somewear else. If they are going to warrantee it, it will have to be only OEM specs. And that is their corporate policy.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally installed the 65 size batteries at a Walmart Supercenter. In fact, I pulled into a bay and worked inside that bay myself, removed old batteries, the mechanics tested them said "shot", and I told them I prefer size 1N (anothe battery, besides 27, listed for diesel RAM). But the 1N is discontinued, they told me because it was a dual post type and they had problems with them leaking. I told them, I want larger battery than 27, like 65. They brought me one, it was too short and wide to fit directly because the battery trays have a little angle at the bottom. Mechanics and I looked at them, then pulled off plastic brackets off of my old 1N batteries, which I then clipped off with dikes right there is their service bay, to be about 1" in height, and put them underneath the 65s. The holding brackets for 1N were a bit narrow, so I used their vice and pliers to open them up a little. At that point they brought out two 65s, put them on the tester. One was not fully charged, so they took out the third one and tested it too. That one said "good battery", so I installed both of them using my improvised spacers and spread out mounts. $64 each for Size 65.
I gained a lot of respect for how they treated me, they should not have allowed me in but they did; they helped me out in a non-standard way; they did not question anything or insist that I follow their parts catalog. All was done to my complete satisfaction, and the mechanics simply helped me do it the way I wanted. When I came to the same Supercenter another day to the camping department, one of the guys from the automotive recognized me and asked how my batteries were doing! I thanked him and said "great".
Needless to say, this is an unusual example in this day and age. I will be back to this Supercenter.
-P

Quick Reply: Time for batteries