2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Think I'm changing the color of my truck, little help picking new one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White is my perfered color b/c it "stays" clean looking longer that said my truck is very red cause the other 1/2 thinks red is "hot " & shows her appreciation often.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO, new car models from other brands are the best source for paint codes.

Here's my current dream paint scheme:

From beltline on down: magnetic Grey Metallic from 2007 Toyota Camry
Top half of truck: Habanero Red Pearl (Orangish red metallic) from 2007 Honda Civic Si
Pinstripe between these two colors: Electric Blue (common Dodge color).

You really have to see the Camry grey and the Civic red/orange in person to appreciate them-- the colors on the websites aren't even close.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
IMO, new car models from other brands are the best source for paint codes.

Here's my current dream paint scheme:

From beltline on down: magnetic Grey Metallic from 2007 Toyota Camry
Top half of truck: Habanero Red Pearl (Orangish red metallic) from 2007 Honda Civic Si
Pinstripe between these two colors: Electric Blue (common Dodge color).

You really have to see the Camry grey and the Civic red/orange in person to appreciate them-- the colors on the websites aren't even close.
Very nice! I know those colors & that would look sharp. I had a 77' Chevy truck before this Dodge & it was Sliver at one time & I loved it. Silver is very easy to keep clean & doesn't show imperfections. I'm leaning toward Lincoln MKZ Silver with Line-x black on bottom.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:44 PM

take a look at the 1999 GMC in my gallery....it is not a factory GM color silver...it is DUPONT Porsche Artic Silver (metalic) from the 99 porsche..here...

and another....

and yea...the other truck in the background was to be project #2 before i wraped it around a telephone pole...it was a 2000 chevy...Charcoal Gray

now my Diesel is white and i LOVE it...that is used to pull the GM to the shows..and to tow the boat....but there is no second for a good silver...it is a VERY hard paint to match if you ever scratch it...most people unless they are really good wont even attempt to blend...due to the flakes in the metalic just never seem to line up right......trust me i am going through it right now
Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

I built a truck just like that, but it was black & had the cateye headlights. Very nice silver on that truck. I know what you mean about matching silver, almost impossible to do as are any metallics.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Is it a really big job to change colors? I mean so everything matches. Expensive?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 PM
GFB

Originally Posted by JSPulliam21
Is it a really big job to change colors? I mean so everything matches. Expensive?

To do it right, yeah. You have to do the door jams, inside of the doors, engine bay, etc. If you're not worried about the engine bay and just do the door jams and maybe then it's not too much more work.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

I am going to do the engine bay with black rustoleum if I do decide to change the color. I'll just pay the shop to do the door jambs & inner doors.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:15 AM

Wine or silver the only way to go
Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caper
Wine or silver the only way to go
Thanks for the pic. That is what I'm talking about!!!! That silver is sweet!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:38 AM

I got to vote for the "wine" color as caper calls it. My truck's color is "wine", actually, it's called red metalic pearl coat by Dodge. I think "wine" is a good description, but, I always thought of it as more of a cranberry color. I get compliments on it all the time. I actually had someone get out of their car at a stop sign and ask what color it was after complimenting it. I recently got the a print out of the options on my truck from it's vin #. The paint code from the vin # was on it. If you want the code, let me know.

If your looking for something different, Hyundai has a color on their newer Sonatas that is surprisingly interesting, at least for my tastes. I think it's called "ice blue" or just "ice." My father recently picked up an '07 Sonata that has this color. I have to admit, if I had seen this color in a pamphlet, I would have laughed at even concidering it. As a matter of fact, I would recomend not looking at a pamphlet for this color...go to a local Hyundai dealer and find a car with it to see if you even like it. It's best described as an incredibly pale blue that borders on silver that gives it that icy-blue appearance. I would have never thought I would like something like that, but, it is actually a very rich looking color. Of course, it works very well on the Sonata, but, may not on other vehicles.

The other color that I think you should concider if your thinking about doing white is that "cream" color I've been seeing on the new Rams. That's another one of those colors that just stands out for some reason.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hercules
I got to vote for the "wine" color as caper calls it. My truck's color is "wine", actually, it's called red metalic pearl coat by Dodge. I think "wine" is a good description, but, I always thought of it as more of a cranberry color. I get compliments on it all the time. I actually had someone get out of their car at a stop sign and ask what color it was after complimenting it. I recently got the a print out of the options on my truck from it's vin #. The paint code from the vin # was on it. If you want the code, let me know.

If your looking for something different, Hyundai has a color on their newer Sonatas that is surprisingly interesting, at least for my tastes. I think it's called "ice blue" or just "ice." My father recently picked up an '07 Sonata that has this color. I have to admit, if I had seen this color in a pamphlet, I would have laughed at even concidering it. As a matter of fact, I would recomend not looking at a pamphlet for this color...go to a local Hyundai dealer and find a car with it to see if you even like it. It's best described as an incredibly pale blue that borders on silver that gives it that icy-blue appearance. I would have never thought I would like something like that, but, it is actually a very rich looking color. Of course, it works very well on the Sonata, but, may not on other vehicles.

The other color that I think you should concider if your thinking about doing white is that "cream" color I've been seeing on the new Rams. That's another one of those colors that just stands out for some reason.
I know that wine color, my buddy has one that color & I'd never hear the end of it. It is very sharp though. I also like that white on the new Dodges, I painted my Impala Pearl white in the early 90's & it was sharp. I am really looking at silver colors & gonna talk to the body guy about downtime with the extra work of doing doorjambs & between the cab/bed. If the $$$ difference is too much, I think I'll just get him to spray it a navy blue color without the purple pearlcoat. I've been looking at navy blue colors as a backup for being so cheap.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned

I saw this picture & It kinda threw me over the edge on my decision. This truck is in the classifieds [Mr. Diesel]. It is just as I described to you guys, silver with black line-x. Awesome!!!! I can just see the big picture, this truck with a custom hood & no decals on the tailgate except a big Cummins logo.

Attachment 22901
Old 07-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Why not just buy his truck then? : )
Old 07-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm changing color on the '98 from Dark Chestnut Pearl to Charcoal Metallica - kind of a blend of Mineral Gray & Stardust Obsidian.

Looks great with aluminum treadplate, stainless steel & Line-X (or was that Rhino Lining? )

Favorite OEM color is Platinum Silver.

Quick Reply: Think I'm changing the color of my truck, little help picking new one?