2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

These Lousy Brakes are going to KILL ME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
These Lousy Brakes are going to KILL ME!!!

AAAAAAAARGH!!!!!! How did Dodge ever get these trucks certified as safe to drive with a brake system as crappy as these are? Yeah, I know, most of you are gonna say "drive Better" and I am truly trying. I just can't figure out how to get this truck of mine to stop. Four times, in the last three day, I have almost driven into the back end of a vehicle in front because the truck just doesn't seem to respond to the brake pedal the way I expect it to. Where is the ABS? I get NO feedback of any kind to tell me that the system is working. The truck just slides and slides and slides and slides with the front wheels all locked up and the back wheels merrily churning away, driven by the torque of the motor. The front calipers are both working properly as there is no one-sided grabbing or pulling.

Slipping it into neutral helps a lot to stop the beast and I am starting to do this as a matter of course. I have acquired the larger 1 ton Chebby wheel cylinders and will intall those in the next week or so as well as setting up the rear brake shoes.

I keep thinking that in the spring we are going to be towing an 11,000lb trailer all over western Canada and into the US. Am I gonna be able to stop this train when I need to or am I heading for a big wreck with a truck that can't stop the load it is pulling?

Cheers! and Merry Chrsitmas!

Now stepping off of my soap box - sorry for the rant!

Mike
Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read these post and wonder what I am missing... My brakes work fine (seems to me) Just had to replace a brake hose (driver side) but they stop me everytime no sliding...

Make sure your trailer brakes are up to snuff and they will stop the extra weight. I pull a loaded 10k twice a month and with the brake controller on 25 that thing will stop the truck.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 AM
csa

ya the brake system on the second jen dodges suck ... i pull a 6k tralier all day every day ..yes i put in the bigger chevy cylinders and they did help a little..my trailer brakes are bran new so im still adjusting controler.. this spring im going to install bigger front brakes.. looking at big bite brakes with 3 cylinder per caliper i whant this thing to stop
Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Considering these trucks weigh 6-7,000 pounds they stop just like I would expect.
You're not driving a Japanese sedan.
One major failing though is the self adjusters on rear drum brake models don't always work and need to be adjusted manually every oil change at minimum.
Simple five minute job once you figure it out.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could add an exhaust brake. I don't even have to use the brakes to slow down most times.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned

Sounds like something is wrong with your brakes. Mine is slower to stop than my 78 Datsun Z but I don't feel unsafe. Perhaps download the FSM and trouble shoot the ABS.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It's clear your rear brakes aren't working. Most likely it's what Infidel describes, and they just need to be adjusted.

An exhaust brake is a wonderful thing, but first and foremost you need to get your rear brakes working properly.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mike L
Where is the ABS? I get NO feedback of any kind to tell me that the system is working. The truck just slides and slides and slides and slides with the front wheels all locked up and the back wheels merrily churning away, driven by the torque of the motor. The front calipers are both working properly as there is no one-sided grabbing or pulling.
Mike
Sounds like you answered your own question. Obviously your ABS isn't working so look there. Fuse, something unplugged, who knows.

Yeah the 2nd Gen brakes are not the greatest and you can whine all you want about them but you have a problem with yours!

Mine work great, I can stop on a dime if and when I want to. Why, they work!

I understand the frustration but look a little deeper and find the cause, your brake problem is not "Crappy 2nd Gen brakes", it's something else.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Might be a good idea to check the proportioning valve. Later trucks (like yours I think) have a load sensing prop. valve on the rear axle, increases pressure to the rear as weight is added. I guess the arm that senses the bed vs. axle height rots off, breaks off, etc., could always tie the arm down to get full braking to the rear. Plus if any one has done the rear shoes at all, make sure the primary and secondary shoes are in the right spot, mine were backwards when I got the truck and on both sides one was down to the rivets, other was about 75%. Adjusting makes a big difference, tighten them up till they start to drag just slightly, then I leave them there. Good reviews about the Chevy 1-ton cylinders, but my truck stops great with the stockers, almost as good as my 02 Jetta.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Homestead
Sounds like you answered your own question. Obviously your ABS isn't working so look there. Fuse, something unplugged, who knows.

Yeah the 2nd Gen brakes are not the greatest and you can whine all you want about them but you have a problem with yours!

Mine work great, I can stop on a dime if and when I want to. Why, they work!

I understand the frustration but look a little deeper and find the cause, your brake problem is not "Crappy 2nd Gen brakes", it's something else.

Jeff
Thats assuming the truck has 4wd ABS. My 12v only has RABS, and I'm pretty sure my dually is the same.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gorms
Might be a good idea to check the proportioning valve. Later trucks (like yours I think) have a load sensing prop. valve on the rear axle, increases pressure to the rear as weight is added. I guess the arm that senses the bed vs. axle height rots off, breaks off, etc., could always tie the arm down to get full braking to the rear.....
My truck has that and its a 1998. Also, my truck stops very well.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The 2nd gen trucks achieved decent braking along with Ford and Chevy when they introduced rear discs. I spent a fortune on my '98.5 4wd trying to stop that thing. Stock w/265's it was decent. Add a 285 tire and a 2000# camper(well within load specs) and it was scary to drive. I eventually got a eb. I'd move up to a 3rd gen. I don't see how the engineers could sleep at night after designing,testing and certifying those brakes. Incidentally,the Fords prior to the introduction of the Superduty's were tough to stop also.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the brakes on my 96. Single piston calipers are pretty lame, but if I stay after the drum adjustment, I think the truck stops appropriately, jmo. I definitely can't see blaming the drums in every instance, either. Although it's apples to oranges, every OTR truck on the highway today can't be wrong for running all drums. Again, jmo.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
SIGH! Y'all are Da BOMB! Feeling a little less cranky about the whole matter tonight - got home from the office in one piece and not too many close calls :>). I realize that the brakes are what they are. I will install the new wheel cyls right after Christmas and I will make sure that everything is installed, up to book spec and that the shoes are set up properly. I will also have a close inspection of the entire ABS system to look for problems. If I feel that it is beyond my span of mechanical know-how, out of my limits, I will just resign myself to having a pro check out the system. Thankfully, the pro that I know rides motorbike with us during our short lived summers!

Thanks everyone for your input

Cheers All!

Mike
Old 12-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 01 has all 4 disc brakes. While its not perfect brake system, it stops just fine. I'm planning on getting s/s brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, possibly slotted rotors and dot 4 fluid. These are some of the upgrades you can do.

Quick Reply: These Lousy Brakes are going to KILL ME!!!