2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Stock Radio Reception

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock Radio Reception

I am having a reception problem with the stock radio....it will not hold a station very well at all...lots of static.<br>I can go to a station that is right here in town and it is fine if i dont move....If i drive the truck i have static. If I get out of the truck and shake the antenna or move my hand by the antenna, the reception with change to the better.<br>I have checked for a bad antenna, but found nothing wrong.<br>I have removed the antenna and cable...checked all very close....have found nothing. I re-installed it and made sure that the antenna was getting a good ground.<br>So with all that being said, I want to know ifntyhere is an adjustment to the radio to tune the radio in better.<br>Thanks,<br>Allen
Old 02-04-2003, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Stock Radio Reception

There is a tuning network where the antenna connects to the receiver circuit but without test equipment, Allen, you're just gonna get lucky if you can improve on the reception. My guess is an RF amplifier probably went bad on it. If you have to pay out of pocket to repair it, I'd give the OEM radio the ol' heave ho, and install an aftermarket unit. A place like Crutchfield for instance has made a typical radio only installation a 20 minute process with connector adapter harnesses and faceplaces made for your particular vehicle.

Tom Hybiske
Old 02-04-2003, 04:58 PM
KC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an XM radio and you will not need to worry!<br><br>KC
Old 02-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kinda sounds like you may have a broken antenna cable. ???<br>If the cable from the antenna to the radio is broken or has exposed wireing... then that cable can pick up RF frequency interferance. (Static).<br>You may want to check that cable.<br><br>Also, if the radio is not grounded properly, it too can cause static. However, an imprperly grounded radio usually picks up &quot;whine&quot; from things like altenators or other cars spark plugs that my be close by.<br><br>Check the antenna cable and check for broken or weak grounds.<br><br>Good luck.<br><br>Rich