2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering gear leaking at the pittman arm

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering gear leaking at the pittman arm

Hi everybody,<br><br>Looking for advice on a leaking steering gear. It is leaking out the bottom<br>shaft that the pittman arm attaches to. I would guess it is a seal, but is it<br>repairable, or should I get a new one? If you think I should get a new one,<br>what would you recommend?<br><br>Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Steering gear leaking at the pittman arm

It is repairable but for the life of me I can't find the post that gives the part number of the kit. I'll keep looking. Mine is a Delphi steering gear box. Probably all are made by Delphi....not sure. Anyway, if you have time to go to a good NAPA or other store that can provide you with the kit, maybe they can track it down for you. I'll keep looking for the post.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can replace the seal. just be sure to remove the pitman arm with a puller instead of a pickle fork, as this could damage the pitman shaft and make seal removal more difficult, not to mention it may damage the new seal if the shaft gets a burr on it from a pickle fork!!
Old 11-28-2002, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hoping I could just change a seal, if only because I don't<br>have a pittman arm puller yet... I'll check with NAPA tomorrow<br>for parts and tools.<br><br>Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-28-2002, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still didn't find it. It is a repairable seal though. Happy Thanksgiving back at you. One other thing you should check is the four bolts that hold the top plate of the box on. If they are loose (and they can get that way) they will leak and drip off the bottom of the seal. My 98 was leaking out of the over center adjustment (the bolt with the screw sticking out of it on top of the box). I thought my seal was gone but tracked it down to the lock nut being loose.