2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering balljoints

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 09:03 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Steering balljoints

I installed new balljoints in the front axle of my RAM. <br>There were some things I observed that may help others who want to do the same, or want to exchange front rotors. <br><br>1. The service manual says: Remove hub nut and washer from the axle shaft, remove the hub-bearing mounting bolts from inboard side of steering knuckle. <br>Remove rotor hub/bearing assembly , dustshield,spacer.. <br>NOTE: If assembly won't come out of the knuckle use puller...<br><br>If you use a puller you should do the following- first spray the inside of the steering knucle with a good penetrating oil. <br>Second, take one of the hub-bearing mounting bolts and turn it in about 4 turns and then pull. So the assembly won't fall down ! ( How do I know this- ask my blue right knee and shin) :'(<br>A good method to use the puller is to hook it on and to pretighten it lightly with the steering knuckle facing inwards, then grabbing the puller to turn the knuckle to the straight ahead position. Doing this won't put that much stress on the axle shaft. Do not overtighten. Just Hook up the puller straight and tighten by hand, turn knuckle inwards , tighten by hand about 2-3 turns more and straighten out again. Maximum pressure will be applied in straight ahead position. Maybe you'll have to repeat this step several times. <br><br>After removing the hub-rotor assembly you should pull the axle shaft and look after the seal. If the dog clutch on the right side will fall off don't panic. While reinserting the cleaned and greased axle shaft turn it clockwise for 720 degrees while applying slight pressure inwards. This will make the axle shaft pick up the dog clutch and re-center it. <br>Do not forget to fill in some GL5 gear oil into the front disconnect mechanism through the indicator lamp switch!<br>Removing the balljoints is easy as long as you clean all parts beforehand and apply some deblocking oil. Remove the c-clip from the lower balljoint and tap the balljoint slightly with a small hammer. <br>It will come out towards the position of the axle shaft. ( UP with the knuckle installed) If using a press take care that you choose a support that will surround the flange of the balljoint you work on. If not you will stress the steering knuckle. <br>Remove all surface rust with some sanding paper from the surfaces that will touch parts. Especially scrape out the grooves where the new balljoints will be seated. <br>Press in new balljoints.<br>Put steering knuckle on the axle, allign bolts roughly and hand tighten upper balljoint nut before going to lower balljoint nut. <br>Tighten as said in service manual.<br>Insert axle shaft, mount hub/rotor assembly.<br>Tighten everything, do a test drive. <br><br>For pressing in the new balljoints I used a piece of pipe that fit ecactly on the ring of the lower balljoint. this pipe will barely fit through the hole for the upper balljoint. A shor piece of the same pipe can be used as a support for the knuckle when pressin in the upper balljoint- I placed the support beam of the press through the eye where the hub assembly will go and placed the piece of pipe on it. So I had a neutral support to press in the upper balljoint without stressing the knuckle. <br>I know that I left out some parts. ( being lazy ;D )<br> <br>Hope that helps, sorry I didn't take pics. <br>If there are any questions I'll be happy to explain it as good as I can.<br><br>AlpineRAM