2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering

This is a 1995 Ram 2500 pickup 4x4 with auto trans. I got it a couple of years ago. Very beat up, and a lot of corrosion underneath (northeast winters). Replaced brake lines and a bunch of u-joints. Now it's the steering. It was never very tight, but now it is doing something that it didn't do before. When I steer it, it makes a clicking sound, and I can feel the click. Whatever is causing the clicking, I can feel it in the steering wheel. Steer left, click; steer right, click.
I haven't noticed any change in the behavior of the truck when it's on the road. It was never very tight in the steering department, and it steers about the same as when I got it. But the front tires are wearing unevenly and faster than they should. I don''t know where it's loose, could be the bearing, the ball joint, the steering box, I don't know.
The truck was off the road for a few months because it failed inspection in September and it took me a while to get around to fixing it. The mechanic failed it for a bad front left u-joint and muffler. I had to take it to a shop to have the u-joint done because I couldn't get the hub off (only time I've ever paid a mechanic to work on it).
The other day I took it back to be inspected at the same shop that did the inspection in September. He passed it this time because it was the second time around and I fixed the things he said to fix. But this time he said the front was so loose he really ought to fail it and that a bad front left wheel bearing was causing the play. I'm not sure what to believe, because when I had it there in September he didn't say anything about the bearing. What he said then was that the ball joint was a little loose but he'd let that go. So I'm not sure what to think. The shop that did the front left u-joint said the steering box was cracked or broken. But they also said the brake lines were solid rust, when in fact they are still shiny from when I put them in last summer. I just didn't bother to take the old ones out.
Basically, it seems I can't go by what professional mechanics say. I need to troubleshoot and fix the steering.
I had an old IH Scout that wandered really bad on the road because the frame rails would flex, and bolting a bracket to the frame fixed the problem totally.
Okay, this is getting long-winded. What should I do to this truck to make it safe to drive?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:35 PM

The steering system needs attention. That is the way with these trucks. I would imagine that you need to look at the other wheel bearing, the track bar, and the steering box/frame. You should probably look at the control arm bushings, while you're under there. Chances are, you have a little of everything loose, and it all adds up. But the clicking- I would look at the steering shaft. That may need attention, too.

I have systematically gone through the front end of mine, and each time I did something, it got a little bit better. It drives good now, and the biggest single improvement that I witnessed was installing a steering gearbox brace. I have a decent amount of money tied up in it, but not nearly as much as I could have, if I would have taken it to a shop.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM

Where can I get a steering box brace ??
Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 AM

Look on ebay, someone is selling them for around $150.

Floyd
Old 01-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The most common steering box stabilizer I have found on this site is from Solid Steel Industries in Saskatchewan. I installed on last fall and it was like I had a new front end on the truck. The installation instructions are good and it only took me an hour or so to install.
Here is a link to the company's website. They shipped to me via Greyhound and I had it in 2 days. It shipped the same day I ordered it.
http://www.solidsteel.biz/
Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks ! got any pics of your R/T ?
Here's my 70 roadrunner
Name:  057_edited-1-1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  135.8 KB
Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 AM

Thank you for the link! Just bought one.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390777/1968-dodge-charger