2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Spare Parts Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Parts Kit

I'm the type of guy who always carries spare parts for what I think might break, like throttle cables and axles, hub fuses, u-joints, etc..but I'm new to dedge and diesel, so I'd like to know, if I was 200 miles from anywhere, what should I have with me just in case??
Old 03-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
You know, I was just thinking we need a thread with relevant part numbers. Im in the same boat as you, what would I do if I was 100 miles from home and XXX happened? I also would like to start gathering part numbers of parts that you would commonly need when doing maintenance, like say dleivery valve washers for those with the old 160 Hp pumps, front cover gasket P/N, etc.

We could set it up with a 1st gen, 2nd gen 12V, and 24V, and a common rail thread.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Front axle?... and a lift pump for sure for 24 valvers with stockers.
I was thinking that myself, but many of the suspect parts are too bulky and the tool set to carry is like, all the tools I have. I heard front u-joints fail off road, but having all thats needed to fix those with me... I am not sure. But I am marking this thread 'cause I'm a pack rat and will hole up some spares in the truck.
-P
Old 03-15-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For a 12 valve all you need is some baling wire to hold up the shutdown solenoid if that system fails and an extra fuel filter for if you get some bad fuel. Almost all of the other common problems will allow you to drive 200 miles for more parts.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by infidel
For a 12 valve all you need is some baling wire to hold up the shutdown solenoid if that system fails and an extra fuel filter for if you get some bad fuel. Almost all of the other common problems will allow you to drive 200 miles for more parts.
+1

I would also consider carrying a spare serpentine belt and maybe a tensioner. I've also been known to keep old radiator hoses tucked behind batteries and whatnot as spares.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:24 AM

I've been driving for 42 years now and this is the first vehicle I've more than a couple hand tools in the trunk. Now I'm rapidly getting ot the point where the entire bed is a spare parts and tool shed. Lift pump plus an old used one just in case , metric and US sockets and end wrenches, serpentine belt and tool set, hyd jack, super sized lug wrench, spare tire, tire repair kits, fix-a-flat, heavy duty tire air gage, come -along, heavy recovery strap, ratchet tie downs, hard shovel, 2 fuel filters, gallon of winter diesel to fill the filter housing, 2 oil filters, 3 gallons of Rotella, power steering fluid, brake pads, starter contacts, 2 gallons of washer fluid, ratchet cargo bars, heavy duty jack stands, creeper, heavy rubber ground mat for the creeper to roll on, snow chains, Colman cab/tent heater, heater, 3000 watt generator to run block heater in the winter, 2 qts PS 911, 2 gallons PS white additive, 1 cup 12 volt coffee pot, coffee and filters, 2 in drop hitch and 6 in drop reversed hitch, a couple handfulls of fuses and relays, puller for vp-44, air cleaner element, winter fronts, 10 gallons diesel fuel, drain pan, med sized cooler, multi tool knife, trailer adaptor, silencer in the glove box .
Winter clothes, jeans, sweat pants, socks, towel, blanket, sweat shirt, gallon of drinking water, candy bars and snacks.

This is just what I can think of off the top of my head.

soon to come is air compressor, 1/2" air wrench, inverter and battery charger.

Good thing I got a 1 ton dually quad cab.

All this is probably because the DCTD is reasonably easy to work on and the dealers simply don't know how to treat customers and just charge too much for inferior service.

I've been stranded 3 times now which is more than any other car I can remember and they all involved long walks. I made these repairs at roadside or in a back yard in the cold. Plus once in -5 deg weather for 8 hours, not the trucks fault however. Winter stuff sure came in handy that time. Not even in Minn.

Funny thing I don't even go off road. I can't imagin what those guys need.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:58 PM
JKM

I have a Cellular Telephone. It has saved me both times I needed something.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JKM
I have a Cellular Telephone. It has saved me both times I needed something.
I would strongly suggest NOT relying on that plan at our elk camp. Or in the middle of BF Idaho, Montana, Dakotas, etc.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scramblinman
I would strongly suggest NOT relying on that plan at our elk camp. Or in the middle of BF Idaho, Montana, Dakotas, etc.
What do you mean not to rely on the cellphone -it combined with onstar will save you from anything in the world NOT

I will pass on the cell phone even if it did get a signal i would be very hard to find.
I carry tools and some spare parts also a stihl 09 chain saw as it can get hard to climb over downed trees !!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
A horse trailer with a horse and saddle.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
A horse trailer with a horse and saddle. No seriously, fuel filter, water, serpentine belt, check air in spare once/month, crawl under truck once/month to visually inspect things. Maintenence, maintenence, maintenence.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:46 AM

Baling wire and duct tape....seriously though, a piece of 12awg wire saved me one night when I pulled into the parking lot and my throttle linkage just snapped....
Old 03-16-2007, 08:26 AM

Good Lord Agnus, life shouldn't be that complicated!

For a couple of dollars a month your ins. co. will get a tow out for you. Or buy a different vehicle!

And the rules of the road: You do teach/enforce that don't you? "When out of fuel, or auto trouble of any kind, youngest one walks!"
Old 03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by D2 Cat
For a couple of dollars a month your ins. co. will get a tow out for you.
I'm sure that the owner of the 1st Gen CTD that I pulled out of a snowy ditch 20 miles from the nearest highway was glad that someone came prepared with a chain.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I started an Excel spreadsheet for part numbers, that way I can seperate them between the generations.

Any part numbers you guys think useful, post them. I have only 7 or 8 entries so far, things like washers, banjo bolts, speedisleeves, VC Gaskets, etc.

Quick Reply: Spare Parts Kit