2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Spacers between vacuum pump and steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Spacers between vacuum pump and steering pump?

Truck is a '95 12 valve 2 wheel drive. Power steering pump finally went bad. Took it apart and thought I'd replace the vacuum pump seal that has been weeping for years - I've been dreading this job but it was no big deal so far.

No local auto parts has the ps pump so I thought I'd go ahead and order it from Geno's and the vacuum pump reseal kit along with it.

Anyway, my confusion and question have to do with the fact that there was exactly one spacer between the vac pump and ps pump, where the factory manual shows two and claims in writing there are two. It is a matter of the shape of the ps pump, three of the mating faces to the vac pump are at the same height (same plane), one is recessed a little and needs the spacer to bring it up to the same level.

Does it seem like I have an oddball pump/setup, or am I just being silly and trusting the manual too much? Don't want to order the new pump and have it not fit.

It is Sunday night, I've arranged a ride to work tomorrow, will see how the week goes - but I'm not going to sleep very well, I really want to call Geno's and ask them about this, and order the parts if they think they are right. This is only the third time in 18 years the truck has been "down" - and one of those was over Christmas break / plant shutdown, so getting to work was not an issue (had the dash out to replace heater core/ac evap).

Sorry to babble, thanks in advance for any guidance y'all can send my way.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobcat
Truck is a '95 12 valve 2 wheel drive. Power steering pump finally went bad. Took it apart and thought I'd replace the vacuum pump seal that has been weeping for years - I've been dreading this job but it was no big deal so far.

No local auto parts has the ps pump so I thought I'd go ahead and order it from Geno's and the vacuum pump reseal kit along with it.

Anyway, my confusion and question have to do with the fact that there was exactly one spacer between the vac pump and ps pump, where the factory manual shows two and claims in writing there are two. It is a matter of the shape of the ps pump, three of the mating faces to the vac pump are at the same height (same plane), one is recessed a little and needs the spacer to bring it up to the same level.

Does it seem like I have an oddball pump/setup, or am I just being silly and trusting the manual too much? Don't want to order the new pump and have it not fit.

It is Sunday night, I've arranged a ride to work tomorrow, will see how the week goes - but I'm not going to sleep very well, I really want to call Geno's and ask them about this, and order the parts if they think they are right. This is only the third time in 18 years the truck has been "down" - and one of those was over Christmas break / plant shutdown, so getting to work was not an issue (had the dash out to replace heater core/ac evap).

Sorry to babble, thanks in advance for any guidance y'all can send my way.

Regards,
Andrew
94-96 parts book calls for 1 spacer on the inside ( closest to the block )

97 on parts book makes no mention of a spacer, though I swear mine had one........
Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 AM

Thanks patdaly!

Want a good laugh? I got a good look when I went to take out the mounting studs, and there really are two spacers. One (on a stud) was so stuck that it seemed to me to be part of the pump.

So my confusion was a direct consequence of my failure to look closely, finish taking apart / cleaning, and being so emotional about my truck.

Stepping back and looking at this, there is nothing to get worked up about. I got a rebuilt pump at the auto parts, ordered the vacuum pump seal kit from Geno's, and will take a vacation day at work once I've got all the parts and ducks in a row.

Thanks again for your help and for taking the time to read and respond.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 01-17-2014, 04:27 PM

Closing the loop

Seal kit came from Geno's Garage, got a rebuilt ps pump from autoparts, all went together just like it should, steering works, no leaks (will keep looking).

All in all it was not a big deal.

I was unwise to put off fixing the leaking seal at the vacuum pump until I *had* to take it all apart to replace the ps pump. The slow leak for years made a mess and the pump assembly was just not that difficult to get out, replace the seal, and reassemble.

Anyway thanks. Knowing that y'all were here to ask, if I got in over my head, was a comfort.

Regards,
Andrew

Over 536 k miles now.