2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Seatbelt light

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seatbelt light

Anyone know how to make the seatbelt light go away. It's the little dude on the dash in red with a seatbelt.
Of course it's ultra bright at night too.

Doesn't go off when I plug in my belt... and like I need a light to remind me. I'm sure I can open up the dash and pull the bulb out, but anything easier than that?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Mine has a little connector under the center seat> Its a wire that connects to the latch and tells the ECM you're buckled.

I don't know if this is part of the air bags or not, but my light was flickering so I unclipped the connector and problem solved.

Kurt
Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Because I use my belt religiously, i took the wire between the connector under the seat and the seatbelt switch and cut it about 2 inches past the connector and spliced the wires together. No more light or alarm. (my swich at the seat belt was bad so to me this was the easiest way to get around the annoying red warning light)
Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 PM

deezel nate...I have the same problem, only seems to happen in the winter when it's pretty cold. It will be on for a couple days and then just disappears for a while.
I don't think there is a sensor on a '98 to tell the truck you buckled up. So I don't think what the guys with newer trucks said will work. (I could be wrong.)

I am thinking about just pulling the bulb out the seatbelt light too.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:09 AM

My biggest concern was affecting the airbag system, I also wear my belt religiously and really don't need a reminder, so I checked into the wire being involved in the SRS and so far nobody thinks it is.

Kurt
Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 AM

If the light doesnt go out, you have a fault in the AirBag system. You need to jack into the OBD connector and read out the code.

There is also a way to get the pulses from the lamps, I think.

Its in the shop manual
Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 PM

My light was flickering and I found it to be the contact in the buckle. I have and airbag warning light. Flashman, are you sure the seatbelt light has anything to do with the SRS?

Kurt
Old 03-12-2008, 05:19 PM

I have the shop manual, I will check. I know this, if the seat belt system has malfunctioned, you will never be able to pull your seat belt out and connect up. There is a solenoid controlled by the electronics that prevents the seat belt from becoming loose. Its because of the bucket seats.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the only thing you need to do is jumper between the two wires at the plug you can strip a 2" piece of stranded wire and form it into a U and stick it in the plug , tape it up . if you sell the truck simply untape and remove the jumper, there is no connection to airbag or solenoid circuits
Old 03-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

Sell the truck

I plan on driving this thing till the wheels fall off... and then I'll buy new wheels!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 PM

Anyone know for sure about this whole light deal?

I have a 98.5 and I am fairly sure there is no sensor. The light will remain on for 1-2 days if I have or do not have my seat belt on.

After this 1-2 days the light will disappear, even if I DON'T have my seatbelt on. Anyone know what this light gets triggered by?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:56 PM

The seat belt light on the dash indicates the drivers side seat belt is not buckled for the first 10 seconds after you turn on the key. After that it has 2 functions. First as since the seat belt is part of the seat and not anchored to the truck the seat belt locking mechanism is operated by solenoids at the reals in the seats. The system is controled by a module below the center consol. It has an impact sensor that when it senses an impact it shuts off the power to the solenoids thus locking the reels not allowing the seat belts to extend. When you turn the key on it energizes the soleniods and releases the reels to be able to pull them out and put them on. When you turn off the key there is a 30 minute timer that allows the seat belts to be extended so you can get out of them. It is only 30 minutes as Dodge did not want it to run down the batteries.

The second function for the seat belt light which I forgot about is it is used as a backup to the airbag light indicator. If the ACM display control detects the airbag light is not working it will use the seat belt light as a backup to inform you that you have a problem with the airbag system.

After the 10 seconds has elapsed from turning on the ignition key if there are not problems with the seat belts and your airbag light is not burnt out (and the airbag system does not have a problem) the seat belt light will turn off. It will let you know that your drivers side seat belt is not fastened with a chime and not the light. There is a procedure for doing a self test on the seat belt system in which it tests whether or not the soleniods are working. If you want that let me know and I will e-mail it to you a scanned copy as opposed to writing it out here. My e-mail is horsehead7@excite.com. Let me know.