2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Seat Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Recommendations

I have the cloth seats in my '01 RAM and after about two hours of driving, my butt hurts clear up to the middle of my back! I am looking for any ideas on how to make it more comfortable. Should I look at aftermarket seats? Is there something wrong with the seat in my truck? Should I go to a Pick-n-Pull and try to find the power seats? Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br><br>BTW, I am 6'2&quot; and 245lbs. I have had the truck for 16 months and it has around 42,000 miles on it.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:42 AM

Re:Seat Recommendations

I believe I would go with the power seats, you could probably pick some up at your local junk yard. Some of the more experienced guys on here could tell you how much trouble you would have retro-ing them. My truck has them and they are great on a trip, especially the lower lumbar support. Plenty of adjustment available for the long legged people ;D
Old 12-17-2002, 10:46 AM

I have the power drivers seat in my truck, I still find it uncomfortable on long trips... Keep cranking up the lumbar support and moving the seat and nothing helps! I think you should just stop every couple hours and get out and stretch, that's about the best thing.... ;D

Tony
Old 12-17-2002, 11:10 AM

Right on TPIL, the ole lady has a real nice Grand Prix with the leather, power seat... thing adjusts any way imaginable, but on long trips, as comfy as it is... still gotta get out and stretch for a few. <br>My truck aint got the power seat, and Honestly I don;t miss it... I'd still get tired of sitting after a couple hours anyway. <br>-Dave
Old 12-17-2002, 11:33 AM

Guys, I did the seat rebuild suggested by a Ram owner named Denny Day on mine. Pulled out the seat bottom and put in two inches of dense foam from the fabric store. Between the foam and springs, I used a carpet sample with jute backing. Put the jute backing against the springs. I was having pain in my lower back and down through my left hip. No more pain since the rebuild. As a matter of fact, this is the most comfortable driving seat I've ever had. I'm 6'3&quot; and should have just gone with a 1&quot; foam. I feel a little &quot;jacked up&quot; in the seat now but man is it comfortable. And now the lumbar support hits me where it's supposed to. One other thing I did was to place some foam vertically for the side bolsters. That firmed them up as well. The job took about 45 minutes and is a fairly easy thing to do. Just make sure if you do it to get some spray adhesive and use it between the existing foam and the newly installed foam so there is no slippage.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:15 PM

I did the same thing as Smoke Dog to both my front seats and added power lumbar to passenger seat made big improvement. Very easy to do and alot more comfortable!!!
Old 12-17-2002, 10:52 PM

You can get a heat and massage unit and plug it in to the cig. lighter.<br>I have a bad lower back and don't go 5 mi. without it on.<br>On a long trip it makes your back feel great even if you just use the heat. ( yes I have it on in the summer and that's what A/C is for ) ;D<br>It looks like a cheaper seat cover but who cares if it works.<br>I've got tinted windows so if someone is looking that hard when I'm not there they are trying to steal something.<br>And when I'm sitting on it if someone wants to look that bad I'm not going to be letting them in my truck. :<br><br>If I could intergrate in the seat that would be great. Maybe someday.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)<br>
Old 12-18-2002, 08:16 AM

Smoke Dog,<br><br>Do you have a link to that article? I did a search on this board, and didn't find anything.<br><br>Are there any good aftermarket seats available for our trucks?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:18 PM

To further confuse things, let me trow this in. Shortly after getting my truck I thought about upgrading the seats to some out of an SLT. However, enough people had complaints about them that I hesitated to find some in a junkyard and try them. Turns out that the basic model bench seat I have has turned out to be the most comfortable I've had in years. Whodathunkit?<br> Point is (there is one), seats involve both ergonomics and a fair degree of subjectivity. Obviously any input is helpful, but it seems to me that the only real test is to put the seat in question in and run for 8 - 10 hours. Now what do you think? Personally, I want the Steel Horse sport type seats in leather, but at $1200 or better, I'm not experimenting. The only thing I can see to do is find a buddy, or someone at a meet, or any other way you can dream up to get into a truck that has the seats you want and try it. Short term test may be better than nothing but beware; my T100 fells great around town but after 4 hours I got to get out.<br> Most other things we talk about can be quantified, like engine dyno numbers for certain mods, or have proven payoffs in durability vs. price, or are purely cosmetic. But seats can cost a bundle and what works for me might be exactly wrong for you.<br><br>Rob
Old 12-19-2002, 05:26 AM

As far as the article, it's not on the board. It was in the TDR magazine, Issue 35, I believe. Email me and I'll tell you how to do it.<br><br>As far as seats, I saw where someone had taken a set of BMW seats and was installing them in his truck. He got them from the &quot;yard&quot; if I remember correctly. Don't know what mods were required but it probably involved jacking them up a few inches.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:19 AM

SMOKE DOG I JUST JOINED THE TDR,,I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS INFO,,,MY SEAT IS KILLING ME AT FIRST I THOUGHT I WAS BEING A WUSS BUT I GUESS NOT.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:19 PM

I have a base truck with the vinyl split bench seats and no carpet. Even with my bad back I have no complaints. Drove 8 hours to the mopar nats and only stopped twice. (too many soft drinks) If you recline the seat back a little the lumbar support feels a lot better.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:26 PM

I have a dorked up back and opted for the leather seats in my 02, the only reason I got the SLT+ package. Well that and my wife fell in love with the seat heaters :. They are by far the most comfortable seat I've ever had. I had cloth seats in my last F250 and would be sore after a couple of hours driving. I can drive all day without any problems with the power seats. You can change the adjustments while your driving to move the load around, makes a big difference. I notice I sit a little closer to the steering wheel because I can raise the seat up. Maybe thats the difference, I'm not sure. I doubt swapping the seats from a wrecked truck with power seats would be very hard. Just make sure and get all the wiring from the donor.