2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

sagging rear leaf spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 12:37 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:sagging rear leaf spring

Take it to a spring shop they can fix ya up...cheaper then a ***********
Old 01-28-2003, 06:57 AM

Guess that I am confused..<br>Isn't this covered under warrenty so if you need new spring packs let the factory pay for it... even if they only need re-arched why pick up the tab yourself when you just paid 35+k for that truck?<br><br>MAKE DC GET IT RIGHT!<br><br>DuaneW.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sagging rear leaf springs also affect front end alignment, and over time will contribute to uneven tire wear.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:43 AM

At 6K miles, it should be warranteed; take it for warranty replacement and let DC pay for it. The amount of money they are getting for these trucks, use the warranty (you paid for it in the purchase price of the truck).
Old 01-28-2003, 09:40 PM

[quote author=Gear Poet link=board=5;threadid=10157;start=0#97421 date=1043772782]<br><br>I'm trying to get them to order me a spring pack, no charge. Failing that, I'll try another dealer. <br><br>GP<br>[/quote]<br><br>GP, How did you measure it? Mine is 1&quot; lower on the passenger side rear. That is measuring from the ground to the fender lip in the middle of the rear wheel. Now when I measured mine it was on pavement that is sloping some to the passenger side and I have 600 lbs of sand bags in the rear with 250lbs on the driver side and 350 on the passenger side. I don't think 1&quot; under these conditions is a problem, but I will try to remember to measure it on level pavement with no weight in the bed. PS- My spring packs visually look the same??

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2003, 03:42 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

GearPoet: Could you take pics of the spring packs on both sides and of your measuring points? <br>On all my other offroaders it was like that:<br><br>First a little bit of sagging and uneven bend of a leaf. ( Not worrying)<br>Then a little more of tha same. <br>Then a sharp cracking noise and the leaf broken.<br>When looking at the leaf I found that there must have been a crack in it for some time because there was rust on 2/3rd or more of the broken surface. <br>A broken main leaf is bad news when going down the highway, because the axle is not only supported but also held in track by the spring. <br><br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 01-29-2003, 02:20 PM

GP, How do you use your truck? What could you have carried to break a spring? Is your difference apparent when you look at your truck? I re-measured mine on level concrete, same 1&quot; difference like 43.5 from ground to middle of dually fender on the passenger side and 44.5 on the driver side. can't tell the difference visually without measuring. I bet it sits even when I put my big *** in the drivers seat Sounds like everything the Sales manager said was BS. Keep us posted.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:40 PM
Chapter President

Gear Poet<br>If its a broken spring you should be able to see it without pulling the spring pack apart just use a good lite and look for a crack on both sides
Old 01-29-2003, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke a spring on my 96 Tacoma.<br>It was the middle spring in the pack.<br>It broke right at the hole in the middle.<br>One side stayed where it was supposed to,<br>the other swung out and punctured my shock.<br>(had just had both shocks replaced 9 months prior)<br><br>This happened halfway to a 4 day campout, on the worst of roads.<br>I took it easy the rest of the way to the campsite, then found some wire, and wired the springpack back together.<br>Enjoyed the campout, then took it easy going back home, then took it to the dealer.<br>Ended up getting 2 new springpacks for the back <br>(apparently, there was a silent recall, original had 3 springs, new had 4 springs, but of course, I was out of warranty so had to pay.)<br>Had to get news shocks as well.<br><br>I drove that truck for another 9 months, then traded it for my current Dodge.<br><br>Good luck.<br><br>phox
Old 01-29-2003, 08:59 PM

IF it is a broken spring leaf the way to tell what (usually) is that if it broke at the center hole between the u-bolts it was caused by the u-bolts being loose. If it broke outside the u-bolts it was caused by an over weight problem. You aren't going to the Furd dealer in my parts are you? He told me that the reason my wife car needed tie rods at 36,000 miles was because it was driven on the highway. according to the sm &quot;It is an in town car&quot;. I also heard him tell someone else that his car &quot;was designed to use oil because it had nylon impregnated pistons&quot;.<br>Tom
Old 01-30-2003, 05:35 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

GearPoet:<br><br>I think that you won't find a broken spring with the methods mentioned before unless it is broken through. If it's just cracked you won't see it. <br>I do measure from the top of the axle to the frame to avoid misreadings from any problems with the bed allignment. Another way is to check wheel weight, and spring rate. <br>This is quite easy to do- you use a lift with a scale and measure travel against load increase on all four wheels. I have a hydraulic lift with a pressure gauge for this. <br>But you need a reference to be shure. I don't know about removing the spring pack on the Dodge, but must suggest strongly to check this immediately! Due to the raiser block there is much more stress on the springs than with a conventional design. <br>If your dealer won't warranty this problem I'd look into some springs that offer the same heighth without the block. ( more travel, better ride, less axle wrap under acceleration)<br><br>HTH<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 01-30-2003, 07:58 AM

[quote author=MnTom link=board=5;threadid=10157;start=0#98138 date=1043895555]<br><br> He told me that the reason my wife car needed tie rods at 36,000 miles was because it was driven on the highway. according to the sm &quot;It is an in town car&quot;. I also heard him tell someone else that his car &quot;was designed to use oil because it had nylon impregnated pistons&quot;.<br>Tom<br>[/quote]<br><br>Tom, your too nice of a guy. I would of had to tell this guy he is full of and then had a talk with his boss &gt;

Quick Reply: sagging rear leaf spring