2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

rusted out brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juggling the flaring tools while jacking with the 13 ft line was fun.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Just a quick question on the rusted brake lines. Where they rusted on the inside also or just on the oustside?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:48 PM

I second the recommendation for Fedhills brakes. I bought the tool ad use it on my vintage jap play cars
Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by wlowe
Just a quick question on the rusted brake lines. Where they rusted on the inside also or just on the oustside?
Mine were only rusted on the outside, but I change my fluid every two years. If you don't, they could well be rusted on the inside, and look great on the outside. It's been known to happen... Usually though, you will have problems with the metal particles damaging the cylinders or calipers.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by wlowe
Mine were rusted only on the outside except for the one section behind the fuel tank that rusted almost completely through. It snapped in half in the area of the leak when I was stuffing the brake line into the trashcan.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 PM

I just replaced ALL the lines on my truck, bought a 50ft roll of 3/16 line for about $25, reused the old fittings and took about 3 hours of time. Not a hard job at all, no need to buy pre bent lines and waste a ton of money.

Mine broke the brake line between the tank and the frame rail. The front was getting pretty rusty, so I replaced that at the same time. Good to know all the lines are new.

On a plus note, I fixed the fuel level sender while I had the tank off, 2 fixes in one job.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the info everybody.

I've made a couple short runs of brake lines on my 72 charger, had to borrow the father-in-laws flaring tool. It can be done, but what a job it can be!

I bit and ordered a complete set of the pre-bent stainless steel ones from EGR, I will post later on as to how things go.

Hodge, I will try to post a picture when I get time.

I will be slow to update on this, i work full time + overtime and go to college 4 nights a week. If the brake lines get to my house by this weekend I'll try to install them, otherwise it will be the following weekend (maybe, have my son's 2nd bday party that weekend) or if not then the the wekend after that.....

thankfully, I dont need my truck for work since I'm in a factory and have a car I can and usually drive everyday instead.

Thanks again!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just an update on the brake lines from EGR.

The Good: They shipped very fast! I had the lines on my front porch 3 days after I ordered them on the phone

The bad: All of the lines have needed tweaking to nestle into the factory locations. I attribute this mostly to the fact that my truck has over 260,000 miles and may not be exactly factory "square" on all dimensions. Plus, I'm sure every tuck is just a tiny bit different.
The minor tweaking is not a big deal to me. Just do one line at a time, put old and new on the workbench next to each other and tweak as needed.

The worse: I believe they sent me one wrong line, and it just happens to be the one really long one that runs behind the fuel tank (the main one i needed) It is just obviously bent incorrectly, it will require more than tweaking, it is bent mostly wrong at one end, and the other end is ****-near backwards.

I just talked to them on the phone, they asked me to email them a picture of it, and if it is wrong they will send out another line. Hopefully they do make good on their word. I just hate it that I finally had some time to fix my truck and had to stop because the parts are wrong.. I just hope I can get it on the road before deer season next month!!

If I had it to do over again, I would rent or borrow a flare tool, buy a roll of brake line and a bunch of fittings and do it all myself.

The only upside to the way I'm doing it is the longevity of the stainless steel lines, but ya know,, the factory steel ones lasted 260,000+ miles......
Old 10-14-2010, 09:08 PM

Word of advice, Loose that Height sensing thing in the back. Just buy the rear brake hose for a NON-height sensing truck at Autozone and be done with it. The trucks brakes are 150% better and i had the old height sensor tied up too. I run empty 99.9% of the time with NO wheel lockups even during panic stops.