2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rust repair? is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rust repair? is it worth it?

I have some cancer spots showing up on the bottoms of my doors, and around some of the wheel wells.

It is just bubbles, and some small rusty spots.

I would like to know how successfull people have been with re-paints. if you sand all the rust away and repaint dose it just come back in two years?

How long did your rust repair last??

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 AM

Chances are if its coming trough, the only way to get rid of it is to cut the old rust out and put new metal in.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fireram
I have some cancer spots showing up on the bottoms of my doors, and around some of the wheel wells.

It is just bubbles, and some small rusty spots.

I would like to know how successfull people have been with re-paints. if you sand all the rust away and repaint dose it just come back in two years?

How long did your rust repair last??

Thanks,
Those small spots will get a LOT bigger once you start sanding off paint and seeing what's really under there.

General rule of thumb is that you want to go 1/2" past where you see the rust stops.

Rust can be repaired permanently if you use the right stuff. I've used POR15 in the past. Seems to work ok, but it's a PITB to work with, and It's now #3 on my list of rust cures.

#2 on the list is Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. The big pro for this stuff is that you can get it in aerosol. That said, it's not very tough and needs a really tough top coat (the POR is tougher, imo-- but needs a topcoat because it's UV sensitive.).

#1 on the list is a relatively new product called Rust Bullet. It's simply the best available, imo. It prevents rust the best of anything I've seen. Check out their website at www.rustbullet.com-- and look at the tests they had an independent lab do of RB against almost all the other players on the market. See for yourself. It's also much easier to use than POR15 imo, in addition to working better.

Repairing rust is worthwhile IF you do it right- it will come back otherwise.

jmo
Old 07-17-2006, 03:39 PM

Looks like I will have to wait until the end of the month. The new product, Black Shell, will be available July 30. Perfect for my black ram.

It says you just scrape off the flakes and apply 2 coats... Sound like a bit of a fairy tail..

Anyone had any long term experience with this?