2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust

A few weeks ago I got a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel. I love the truck, but it seems like it rusts easily. I started notices other dodge trucks on the road that are really affected by rust. The bottom of both doors, the back bumper, under the truck all look like they will give me problem in the future. Is there something I can do?
Old 01-11-2006, 02:32 PM

rust

First you can tell us where you are from. If in the northern states or Canada where there is snow and lots of salt in the winter one of the best things you can do for your truck is to spray it with oil under and in the doors and fender cavities or any place you can find that salt water can get to. There are companys that do this job for you. Just check yellow pages. All trucks and cars rust sooner or later if exposed to the right invironment. Just have to try to protect them best you can.....
Old 01-11-2006, 03:02 PM

Thanks for your patience with me as I am new to this great website. I live in Pennsylvania. My concerns here are due to my recent and small experiences of looking at trucks from the same years. Perhaps, I am just overreacting but really would like to have the best info on keeping care of the body of my truck. My number one concern, at this time is the following.
I was told that the bottom sides of both doors, of the 2nd gen. Truck tend to rust from the inside out. If that is the case is there anything I can do about that. Thanks so much.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for reducing rust

Mine chipped alot in one very short piece of road so the 14" running boards were remounted to the frame and differing heights but 24" wide mud flaps were mounted. I used Zee-bart. for rust reducing of the truck. Have more of the honey type put in the doors and places that one can't get to wash very well, etc.I had more rust on the truck in one year then the 93 when I sold it.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My 99 has rust in the left door ,but not the right, and my 96 does not have rust in either door. The 99 originated in MA., but the 96 has been in VA. all it's life. I put thick oil inside the doors whenever possible. You have to leave the doors open a while as it drips out, but that's OK. I also believe in Corrosion Inhibitor, such as this:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611760930, or http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amp.aspx
to spray in there and keep the rust from beginning. In a perfect worl, I'd apply the corrosion inhibitor first, then put the thick oil over top of it. I sprayed it all along the underside of the rusty 99 door, and inside with the straw, and I have not pulled the door panel on it yet.
I also use a deck sprayer to spray motor oil over other parts that may, or already do have a problem. I have not donethis on my Dodges because they look great, except for the door, but my old 82 Ford got oil sprayed all over the underside, and into every crevice I could get the nozzle into.

Chris
Old 01-11-2006, 07:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The best thing you can do is keep after it. Undercoat, fix chips, wash out road salt and sand at least weekly.
There is no magic bullet for a used car short of stripping to bear metal and recoating then rhino linering the whole danged thing.