2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rotor removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotor removal

Need a little help. I'm thinking of putting new rotors on my truck and was wondering what's involved in taking the old rotors off.

"Brake job for dumbies" detailed instructions would be helpful.

I just want to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

Nasty nasty job and not for the weak hearted.

Did mine last year with general mech tools in the driveway and a decent knowledge of these trucks.

The worst part is seperating the front bearing assy from the housing and not pulling the assy apart (like I did).

It's a tight fit into the casting and with weather rust etc, they become fused into each other.

There is little room and you really have to beat on the housing (stout heavy chisel, big frikken hammer and surplus knuckel skin) from the back between it and the backer plate.

I made the mistake of trying to use a puller on the first side. Big no no. Fortunately I was able to "press" the assy back together. I understand these assy's are sealed and non-servicable.

Need to take care with the now flippity floppity axle shaft when you do get it off to prevent seal damage. Mine leaked fo ra few days but healed up as many will tell you.

Other than that , go for it. There's something to be said for the satisfaction of getting a nasty like this done by yourself.

Planning to use new rotors?? I had a hard time finding someone to turn mine right away (size) had to use new and keep originals for next time.

Good luck, need more info??
Old 09-28-2004, 12:14 PM

i thought the rotors just slid over the studs? am i missing something?
Old 09-28-2004, 01:15 PM

I think that's just on an 01 or 02 like mine or yours, sucks for them, must be a pain. Good luck Mike D, cumminsboy
Old 09-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Chapter President

I guess not a lot of folks with our year trucks have tried it. I'll call around for some better prices. Can't risk messing something up.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:48 PM

you need to remove the hub from truck and then drive wheel studs out to seperate the two.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Chapter President

Thanks for the help P.O.R. But I'm pretty dumb on these kind of rotor set ups. I wouldn't even know what a hub is.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nasty nasty job and not for the weak hearted.
Not necessarily.
Most of the time the rotors and bearing will slip right off the axle half by just tapping with a soft hammer while rotating the rotor. But you do get some that are rusted on and it can become a pain to remove then.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Chapter President

Hey Guys. If someone could give me some step by step directions I might try it. I really would like to get this done without taking it to the shop.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:37 PM

I did mine a few months ago and its not realy hard. Took me 6 hours to get the first side off, using pullers and beating on it. Found a tip on here that saved the day in about 15 seconds. Got the other side off in about 30 min.
1. Set the front axle up on secure jack stands and remove wheels.
2. Find a large socket to fit the axle nut (1 11/16?) and have someone apply the brakes while you remove the nut. ( you could do it with the truck still on the ground w/wheels on)
3. remove calipers and hang with wire.
4. remove the 4 bolts on the back of the spindle Note: they are 12 point
5. Heres the tip that saved my day and was the only way i could get mine off(very rusty). If you have 4 wheel abs, then dont do this, unless some body explains how you can. There is some type of ring that must be removed???

-Anyways, turn the front of the wheel/rotor all the way in towards the truck.
-Rotate the axle shaft so that the inner u-joint is vertical.
-Place a good sized socket (1.5-2" long) between the outer u-joint (horizontal), and the end of the axle tube.
- start up the truck and turn the steering wheel in the appropriate direction, to press out the hub. (if your working on the driver side, turn the steering wheel left and vise versa for pass side).
Hub should pop right out.
- Slide the hub off, and try to support the axle shaft so it dosent "hang". Try to keep it horizontal as possible while the hub is off.
- Thats as far as i got with the hub, i didnt pull the rotor apart, but like everyone else said, you bang out the studs to remove it. I had my rotors turned with the hub still on.

I may have forgot some steps and the last step may sound like greek, just ask questions if you dont see how to do it. Goodluck -Jake
Old 09-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Chapter President

Thanks Jake. You cleared up the muddy water for me. I feel better about doing it now.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Banned

Do the 01's jut slide over the studs or do I have to pull the whole shebang out?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mike, don't neglect to coat the the axle shaft with anti-seize when reassembling to keep the bearing from rusting on for next time.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:57 PM

I found this site useful as it has pictures.

http://www.geocities.com/palmerlives...ubService.html
Old 09-29-2004, 06:43 AM

DZLPWR,

Excellent post!!

There should be an anual award for inovative thinking on this site. Like many others, this one is a contender.

We could call it "The Rammies"????

I read your "trick" with great interest and will surely keep it in mind for next time.

Great post, Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Rotor removal