2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rocker panel rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't even have a rocker panel on the drivers side anymore. I say a tiny bubble on the front edge when I bought it, was still solid. Next year it was a patch of bubbles about 3" long, tapped it with a screwdriver handle and it all caved in. Been 5 years and the outter and inners are gone, cab mount is next. Salt stinks!

I'd agree what your looking at is from the inside out. 2nd gen rockers are thin to begin with, and they don't seal out water, nor do they drain out water very well once some sand/salt gets in, then it's all over. Process get sped up when they are getting punished with wide tires sand blasting the rockers from the outside. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear ya. I am **** about how my trucks look and its hard for me to even bring myself to drive it looking like this.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 PM

Any Indiana boy's willing to come and give it a shot. I'll pay and buy the beer. Don"t have to paint since ts going to be resprayed. I may hit it with some por 15 before they spray it.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM

Going to get it fixed this weekend. $650 complete. Then have it resparyed.

Here is the piece I pulled off from the front of the cab back to the fender.

If prepped properly, it should not come off this easy. And it was easy.

1st pic of the topside, 2nd pic of backside.
Attached Thumbnails Rocker panel rust-001.jpg   Rocker panel rust-002.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
$650 seems to be pretty cheap. Is that labor only?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Silver R/T
$650 seems to be pretty cheap. Is that labor only?
Total. A friend of mines brother owns a body shop. It's not what you know, its who you know.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's true. I don't see body shop doing it for less than ~$2K, unless it's a Maaco (that's if you find Maaco that would be willing to mess with this rust)
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Silver R/T
That's true. I don't see body shop doing it for less than ~$2K, unless it's a Maaco (that's if you find Maaco that would be willing to mess with this rust)
Silver, He is going to replace the rocker and cab corner, and then prime it. I am not sure if I am going to have him paint it, since its going to linex on Tues to get sprayed. The guy does great work. I also have to shoe his horses once for free, so a little bardering was in place.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 PM

Met some guys through facebook, who have apparently, had the same problem as me. One gu had to take his back in twice in 3 months to have it resprayed because of peeling. Seem's to be a trend.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:57 PM

Got them replaced. The line-x is owned by a different guy now and he is going to respray them for free. He said it was definately not prepped right. He said he is still dealing with shoddy work from the previous owner.
Attached Thumbnails Rocker panel rust-012.jpg   Rocker panel rust-013.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
very nice!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:56 PM

Thanks Joem. I sure feel better then I did last week.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
after my first post about how nice my 20 and even 30 year old paint jobs are on my ageing cars and trucks I seen this on the news1 F***

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...t_for_fir.html

For years, when the snow piles up they grade it smooth and we drive on packed snow- it works great and is sometimes smoother than the pavement! But some people want it down to bare pavement because so many dont know how to drive in snow.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Uh oh, you better get to trying to protect them now. We have salt on the roads here most of the winter, and it is a battle fighting the rust. Done pretty good up until this happened. Hard to wash the salt of in the winter, as soon as the water hits the paint from the pressure washer at the car wash, it freezes. And I can't take it through any automatic ones, because my wheels stick out to wide.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joem
after my first post about how nice my 20 and even 30 year old paint jobs are on my ageing cars and trucks I seen this on the news1 F***

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...t_for_fir.html

For years, when the snow piles up they grade it smooth and we drive on packed snow- it works great and is sometimes smoother than the pavement! But some people want it down to bare pavement because so many dont know how to drive in snow.
I saw that on the local news recently. That certainly does not make me happy but neither did lying in the snow putting chains on an A train combo on your hill a few years ago! The packed snow and some pea gravel works pretty well. Then the thought comes about where do they get the salt from? That has to be some $$$.

Quick Reply: Rocker panel rust