2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rocker panel rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocker panel rust

I had my rocker panels sprayed with linex a few years ago. Today, I noticed the linex was bubbling out. Well, after further inspection and peeling the linex off quite easily, my rockers and cab corner on drivers side is rotted through. The prep was not done right, so now, after haven't them sprayed to prevent this problem, I have to go through the hassle of getting them fixed. The ******** that did it should be responsible for the bill. Can't get anything done right unless you do it yourself.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any picts? sounds extreme! Maybe the Line X held the moisture close to the metal all year around?? all my rigs except the 2 Civic's and WRX have been out in the rain 365 days a year + we get 120" of rain here and even my ageing 1985 VW is 99% rust free to this day, Super strange for a cab to rot threw- I have actually never seen a modern truck with cab rust- Check this video out, the rocker panel on the VW is chiped up and still no rust- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo-YUR1_DaU
Old 10-21-2012, 02:42 PM

I can get pics. It was wet between the linex and the metal. Just sick to my stomach cause of it.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 PM

This was under the linex. You can see where I peeled it right off.
Attached Thumbnails Rocker panel rust-001.jpg   Rocker panel rust-002.jpg   Rocker panel rust-003.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Chances are there was rust BEFORE it was Linex'd
Possibly it was fixed before by a body shop? Do you know history of the truck? It could've been hit there and body shop didn't fix it properly.
Need to cut it all out and prep inside rockers, Use good quality epoxy primer to prevent metal from rust.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts
Looks like the rust pushed thru from behind, as is the case usually with these truck doors.

Trying to get anybody to warranty anything nowadays is a waste of time. Especially any service type operations, I tried to get a replacement taillight for my 97 tahoe to replace the junkyard garbage they put in and called "new". They needed the rig for an entire day, weren't sure they could cover the cost of 57 bucks because it had been three years, even though a "lifetime" warranty was included in the repair. I also found out they subbed out the work on my vehicle to another shop, but that is another story.

Long story short, e-bay $19.99 free shipping. I'm over it. My time is worth more than that.

If you want it done right.........

Sorry, that looks awful.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM

I have had the truck since new. There was no rust when it was applied, just rock chips.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:13 PM

I am no body man, so I can't even imagine what this is going to cost. Certainly was not in the budget.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Twodiesels
I have had the truck since new. There was no rust when it was applied, just rock chips.
"just rock chips" now we have a problem. you see when rock chipped paint it probably went through paint/primer all the way through to the metal. Exposed metal = rust. No wonder they call it cancer. It took a few months/years on your truck to spread out and crawl underneath LineX.
A good prep job is a key to a good paint job.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silver R/T
"just rock chips" now we have a problem. you see when rock chipped paint it probably went through paint/primer all the way through to the metal. Exposed metal = rust. No wonder they call it cancer. It took a few months/years on your truck to spread out and crawl underneath LineX.
A good prep job is a key to a good paint job.
True, they did not prep it right. The rock chips, and they werent to bare metal, you can still see where they are. They look just like they did when it was sparay over. Where the rot is, was clean paint. The linex is peeling off all around the truck. I had to take it back in twice to have it resprayed. They literally grabbed one end and peeled it right off. They didn't take the time to prep it properly, and now I am stuck with this. Bottom line is it's a sketchy job. There was water under the linex where its rotted.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts
I agree that it was not prepped correctly if it will "peel right off".

If you have ever tried to remove it, its awful. The best way is with a wire flapper wheel and a big grinder.

Not trying to discount what you are saying, just throwing things out you may have to face when they deny your claims.....
Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 PM

I am not gonna bother with a claim to them. Your right, it won't do any good. I just went out and peeled the piece from the front of the bed to the wheel. Came right off. I will have the rockers fixed and take it to a different linex to have it resprayed. If the rest of the truck wasnt sparayed I wouldn't even mess with it.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 PM

I agree with sixlugs first comment. I think the rust started from the inside. Mines doing it now, small bubbles of rust, the paints not even showing a hole or rust trail yet just bubbles. There are drain holes that get plugged or just hold debris in the rockers. Our winters with the salt and chemicals dont help!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:19 PM

Your best bet is to find someone who will cut out old section and weld in a new section from parts truck. If I were closer I'd do it for you.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Silver R/T
Your best bet is to find someone who will cut out old section and weld in a new section from parts truck. If I were closer I'd do it for you.
I'll buy the beer! I am taking it to a shop tomorrow to get an estimate, and have found a different linex dealer who is going to respray it for me.

I just wouldn't even know where to start. I checked the rest of the truck, and all seem's to be o.k. at this point.

Quick Reply: Rocker panel rust