2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Replaced the track bar bushing+ lukes link

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replaced the track bar bushing+ lukes link

I didnt have any trouble at all, what issues do most people run into when doing the track bar? Mine went pretty smooth--- hope i did it right
0. put truck on jack stands and remove tires.
1. Pop the drivers side loose with a huge pickel fork and a splitting mall
2. loosen the bolt on the passanger side, grab the keeper as it fall out.
3. remove track bar and install lukes link on drivers side, press out the old stock rubber and steel coller from passanger side with a press and install a sweet poly energy suspention bushing.
4. anti seize the bolt and install passander side
5. move axle with a come a long until the drivers side lines up, anti seize this sucker and drop it in and tighten both sides and your done right?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The mistake you made was jacking the truck up, if you had left the tires on the ground you wouldn't need the come-along.
Most times the bar will go right back in but if a little adjustment is needed just turn the wheels a little.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My replacement was an 8hr job. Whoever replaced the bushing last used the original nut and bolt. When I went to remove the nut and bolt on the axle end, the nut was so seized onto the bolt that it snapped the tab off that is supposed to stop the nut from spinning. I opened the hole up wider that lets you get to the nut and tried to get a good grip with some open end wrenches that I bought and shaved down. All they did was round that nut off very nicely. Finally I used a very small drill and an air chisel to cut the nut in half. I got MANY metal shavings in my eyes, ears and nose even though I was wearing safety goggles. Once I got that part done, the ball joint stud really didn't want to come out of the frame. Insert blue wrench and hammer but there isn't much swinging space in the wheel well. Eventually it popped off. I had the wheels off the ground so even when I did get it all apart, I had to adjust the height of the truck with the jack to get the ball joint lined up again. I will NEVER reuse the nut and bolt on the axle end. I imagine a good application of anti-seize would replace whatever blue gunk was on the one I got from the dealer, but the dealer one is about $15. It is worth my time to never have to play that game again.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine came off pretty easy, it has blue locktight on it too- the tab style keeper and bolt looked like new as oregon doesnt use salt, Good to know about keeping it on the ground, it will help alot when we do my friends 2002 next week! thanks Infidel