2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rear view mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear view mirrors

I have a 96 2500, with the mirrors that come out of a 90 degree piece of round tubeing, attached to the doors. Problem is, the mirrors are blown back by the wind at interstate speeds. Any one experience this, and what is the fix?
Thanks,
BIG MIKE
Old 08-07-2004, 01:38 PM

There is a remedy to tighten them. First remove three screws on door panel, one up by the mirror, the two on the door grab, next if you are patient pry door panel easily and work the plastic keepers out, or as I do I take a sharp knife and cut them and buy some replacements at the local parts house. next unclip the wire harness if you have elect mirrors, then take the three mounting nuts which are 10 mm off, and hold on to the mirror at the same time as to not drop it, if it has elect then simply push the rubber grommet out that is around the wires. Take the mirror and on the side that mounts to the truck pry off gently the foam that is glued on and there you will see a friction plate with two torx head screws you can take them off and underneath there is a friction dowel for lack of a bettere word and pull it out and turn it over and reinstall everything in reverse, then the next time it gets loose you will have to go to Dodge and pickup another friction dowel. Holler back if you need anything else. I would also suggest to put a towel wedged down under the area between the door panel and the door as it serves two purposes to keep the door panel away and to catch anything you drop!!! Goodluck,,Rick
Old 08-07-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Or, if you are in the middle of nowhere when it happens, do a temp fix with ONE or TWO drops of the old superglue. I did that on a 96 I used to own. It worked, but there is sometimes too much of a good thing.

Ed
Old 08-07-2004, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the help, Guys!! BIG MIKE
Old 08-08-2004, 02:19 PM

Hey Big Mike, there are factory mirrors in the classifieds here very frequently that guys take off and put the fold out towing mirrors on. So if something is really broken you might try picking up a set from someone here as I know they will be a lot lest costly than new. I can also check with a customer that I just replaced his factory mirrors with tow mirros and see if he would part with them if you need some, just let me know. Goodluck,Rick