2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

radio controls on wheel don't work

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radio controls on wheel don't work

After buying my truck used with 48k miles on I discovered that it had buttons on the steering wheel to control the radio. I also discovered they don't work. It's not a real big deal but I figured if they are there and there is an easy fix why not. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks
Old 02-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First I guess it has to have the same factory radio it came with. My truck has the steering wheel radio controls and I must say that I have become very spoiled by them. I have never seen an after market radio that was compatable with the SW controls either.
I assume that your clock spring is still OK or otherwise I think the airbag light would be on and the cruise control (if equipped) would not work. Hopefully someone may have a better answer for you.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking around at radios on the internet one day and came across an adapter for using the steering wheel controls on an aftermarket stereo. It may have been on Crutchfield's website, but I really don't know for sure. The only requirement I believe was that the stereo unit had to have a wireless remote.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Banned

Yah that is my only regret to installing aftermarket radio is loosing my steering wheel control still have stock radio though may put it back in. New Dvd/cd player won't play my Jeff Foxworthy cassette tapes either
Old 02-04-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Start with the wiring coming out of the steering column. The connection between the column and the steering wheel may be broken, hence the clock spring RattlinRam spoke of. You'll have to pull the wheel and inspect.

Chris
Old 02-04-2005, 06:08 PM

Here's for all you guys who want to keep the radio buttons on an aftermarket radio.

This unit lears commands from your aftermarket's infrared remote. The unit has it's own infrared transmitter that is then used for when you use the buttons on the steering wheel.

Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface
Old 02-04-2005, 06:43 PM

When you press the buttons, are they still tight, or do they just flop around? Both of my controls went out shortly after buying my truck (used). I pulled them out to see what was wrong, and there is a plastic tab holding everything together that broke. With it broke, the buttons won't make contact with the sensors on the inside. I'd like to find a way to fix what I've got. I think a new volume control is ~$30 and I haven't priced the scan side yet.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:10 PM

I have been having a similar problem. My volume control sometimes operates the scan side when I try to lower the volume. It is aggravating for channels on the radio or tracks on a CD to change when you are trying to work the volume. Any input would be appreciated!
Old 02-06-2005, 03:09 PM

mhalliday1,

Mine has been doing the exact same thing. It started a couple of months ago and is intermittent about when it decides to do this. I have also noticed that the cruise control buttons are not as responsive as they used to be. I have thought about blowwing them out with some canned air. Not sure if this will help. If anyone else has had this problem and knows of a solution, please let us know.

Michael
Old 02-06-2005, 05:41 PM

Mine stopped working shortly before the clockspring recall. The radio controls were the only thing affected at that time. I had the clockspring replaced at that time and also with the recall.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:32 PM

Well I have to do some checking. The cruise works great and the buttons feel fine. it is the factory radio. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 AM

Anybody?

I've got symptoms described above. My lower volume button
sometimes RAISES the volume and/or restarts the song (CD).
Anyone figure this out yet?
TIA.
PS: It's the second steering wheel for me, replaced after break-in/theft, crooks cut the original wheel to remove club and drive off. Recovered fine.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:26 PM

I would start by pulling the stereo to see if the wires from the steering wheel are plugged in right. It is fairly easy to pull the stereo. Your original stereo may have been replaced with another stock model with no steering wheel attachment. That is what happened with my truck and the steering wheel wire was just hanging there with nothing on the radio to plug into.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:01 PM

No, stock radio/CD, Infinity.
Only change was steering wheel. Could a contact come loose or would it be the clockspring? Cruise and horn fine...
Buttons all seem ok, nothing loose or wobbly...
Old 11-05-2005, 05:10 PM

If your truck didn't come with the steering wheel radio controls (but does have steering wheel cruise controls), what parts of the clockspring are still there, inside the wheel? I'm wondering what wires are there (I'm assuming they'd be unused) and can they be used by the truck owner to mount a switch or two on the steering wheel? All I need is two or three wires that I can access on each side of the clockspring.