2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Pulling Stock Trackbar

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling Stock Trackbar

I was getting ready to pull my stock trackbar off to upgrade to 3rd gen setup. My old trackbar is still good & still has some life in it so i didn't want to ruin it.

I would like to pull it without using a picklefork. Does anybody know if you can rent it or any of the major auto stores have the tool that is designed to pull the trackbar on the 2nd gen trucks. Seems like all the pullers that I've seen never were big enough to fit around the bracket on the frame. Anybody know of a tool that works. Yes, I have tried the pry bar, but doesn't budge.....
Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 PM

when i pulled mine off i just took off/removed all the hardware from both ends and then just pulled it out. you can also grab the tires and turn them back and forth to help loosen it up get it into a different position. i also had to tap the top side of the ball joint end on the frame with a hammer to get it started . . .

no damage done at all with these methods . . .
Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
when i pulled mine off i just took off/removed all the hardware from both ends and then just pulled it out. you can also grab the tires and turn them back and forth to help loosen it up get it into a different position. i also had to tap the top side of the ball joint end on the frame with a hammer to get it started . . .

no damage done at all with these methods . . .
I wish it were that easy to get mine out. It doesn't seem to budge at all. I've thought about loosening the nut on the frame end just a small amount and driving it a little to see if might loosen it up. I was looking for something similar to a tie rod puller but big enough to fit around the bracket on the frame end.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstep3
I wish it were that easy to get mine out. It doesn't seem to budge at all. I've thought about loosening the nut on the frame end just a small amount and driving it a little to see if might loosen it up. I was looking for something similar to a tie rod puller but big enough to fit around the bracket on the frame end.
There is likely a special tool available, but not needed. Back off the nut a few turns and use a hammer and drift(if you have a brass drift, use it, it won't damage the stud or nut). It'll take a few solid hits, but it'll come out.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Mstep3
You have a P.M.
Floyd
Old 01-04-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mrclean
There is likely a special tool available, but not needed. Back off the nut a few turns and use a hammer and drift(if you have a brass drift, use it, it won't damage the stud or nut). It'll take a few solid hits, but it'll come out.
thanks, I will give this a try. I haven't ever removed it since it was put on from the factory. I've heard sometimes heat helps too if you warm the bracket up with a torch a little bit. I'll try everything before using the picklefork cause i'm pretty sure it will ruin the seal.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Just get a BIG hammer, a sledge is even better, ONLY hit frame part of the trackbar bracket where the ball stud goes thru. its the same with doing tie rods always hit the frame part and the tie-rod end will pop out, 20plus yrs of twisting wrenches and I have not ever found a need for a pickle fork.

remember dont be gentle, hit it hard it will pop right out
Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM

I don't know if I was lucky but mine had a nut that was tapered at the bottom so the socket wouldn't slide all the way over it. I just loosened the nut and with the deep socket on the end of an extension gave it a couple cracks with a hammer. I have done this 3 times and everytime its just a couple cracks and pop its out. That was the easiest part. The other night while laying in the driveway with a couple inches of slush under me I tried to get the ball joint end back in position. The truck moved to the right on the suspension when I took off the bar. I tried everything to get it back. I finally had to get my wife to turn the steering wheel as I guided the stud into position. Dam Dodge for using such a crappy set up like this. There should have been a factory recall to fix this poorly designed POS.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by nickg
Just get a BIG hammer, a sledge is even better, ONLY hit frame part of the trackbar bracket where the ball stud goes thru. its the same with doing tie rods always hit the frame part and the tie-rod end will pop out, 20plus yrs of twisting wrenches and I have not ever found a need for a pickle fork.

remember dont be gentle, hit it hard it will pop right out
I second this.