2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

projector lights and hd harness . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
projector lights and hd harness . . . .

i need to upgrade the headlights on my truck. i have decided to go with projector lights (direct replacement) such as these:

http://lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/0021.asp

will a heavy-duty headlight harness such as this work with projector lights?

http://lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/0020.asp

the harness is for 9004 bulbs (in my application).
from what i have read on here, the projector setup (H1 bulb & 9005 bulb) comes with an adapter to plug into the factory 9004 location.
this being said, would the harness/relay work as it does not (i think) interfere with the projector wiring directly?

im all ears.

thanx
Old 11-07-2007, 02:10 AM

im really interested in this too i need alot better lights, iv been looking at this setup but dont want to spend all that mony on something that not that great. iv seen alot on some replacemen bulbs too.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I would also like to have better lights, but due to some stupid regulations any replacement light needs an E sign. I didn't find any info about whether there is any aftermarket light with this sign or not.
So I'd like to ask you to take a look on your aftermarket lights if they sport an E sign- it's a capital E in a circle. The size doesn't matter. If you find one please tell me the source.

Thanks!

AlpineRAM
Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 AM

I too am looking for new headlights, and your right Alpine, we need that dreaded "E" mark, here in Europe. I know Dodge sell the Ram seris here in Europe, i was wondering if the trucks they sell have that mark on them or do they sell them with the SAE mark, the same as in the USA. Perhaps it's worth writting, emailing the suppliers and ask them..
Trouble is US head lights do not dip to the right or left on low beam ( depending where in the EU you are ). Very fortunate here in the UK, that some test stations will almost turn a blind eye and pass the lights....
Old 11-07-2007, 07:14 AM

In Austria it's like that- once the gov. has inspected and OKed a vehicle (individually per vehicle) you must keep it that way or use a light with the E. Even if the stock light is horrible they must let me pass inspection as long as the light has it's stock performance (which nobody knows)
If the light has an E I can mount it on the vehicle as long as I keep the equivalent wattage low enough. (About double the light output of a BMW 7 series with HIDs is still OK)
I'd like to keep the lights in the stock place because with an additional driving light I would need to go beneath the bumper- and they don't live too long down there.

AlpineRAM
Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 AM

I'll look at mine in a couple days when I have them out Marcus!

Will report back!
Chris
Old 11-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Thanks Chris!

The E sign in question must be on the glass- just like the DOT-SAE number for the US market. So all that's needed is a peek on the glass of the light. (Maybe while cleaning it)

AlpineRAM
Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 AM

Oh, I'll look sooner then!

Chris
Old 11-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Chapter President

My flosser 9104 bulbs didnt have an "E" on them anywhere.

I dont see why the harness wouldnt work with HID replacements. It is just supplying power to the bulbs. I just got my LMC harness in and it is just wire from the batteries two relays and and an extra socket for the stock harness to plug into.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
Thanks Chris!

The E sign in question must be on the glass- just like the DOT-SAE number for the US market. So all that's needed is a peek on the glass of the light. (Maybe while cleaning it)

AlpineRAM
Marcus, Have you looked at www.danielsternlighting.com ?? I see he has some e rated lights (not bulbs) on the site

If he doesnt have them, Im think he will be able to point you in the proper direction.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:16 PM

How bright are the projector lights I have never actually seen any of them at night?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Marcus, Have you looked at www.danielsternlighting.com ?? I see he has some e rated lights (not bulbs) on the site

If he doesnt have them, Im think he will be able to point you in the proper direction.
Yes,I've looked there- but I'd like to keep the lights in the stock location. and not have a gap like when installing Cibies. The lights he has are all configured to have the glass perpendicular to the center axis of the vehicle. I did not yet contact him about this, good call.
Still it would be very nice to find a good cheap headlight that is a direct replacement with an E sign
Thanks!

AlpineRAM
Old 11-10-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got the LMC harness. It's plug and play really. It has a plug that is exactly like a 9004 bulb plug.

All you have to do is plug the harness in like a bulb into the truck wires. Then mount the 2 relays and run two wires to the positive battery. Then ground the 2 grounds with a self tapping screw.

The harness is a little short, so you can't really hide it unless you lengthen it yourself. I just ran mine on top of the intercooler to go to each light.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by 95black2615
The harness is a little short, so you can't really hide it unless you lengthen it yourself. I just ran mine on top of the intercooler to go to each light.
Did you try running it underneath the shroud? I havent tried it yet, but it might be worth a shot.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I tried running it under the shroud but it was still too short. I think the only way to run it like that is to cut it and lengthen the wires.

Quick Reply: projector lights and hd harness . . . .