2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

power door locks wire diagram

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
power door locks wire diagram

i got a power lock and a 5 pin switch from a 96 ram and want use it on pass side as i have std locks, can it be wired without realys ????
Old 12-06-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
There are no relays. Power goes to the drivers door lock switch then it has lock and unlock wires going to the passenger side switch. From there the lock and unlock wires go to the lock motors on both sides. The reason for this is to avoid shorts when both switches are switched at the same time. I was going to do the same thing you did then I decided to go ahead and put both power locks and windows when I found some good door pannels. If you do it this way you can grab the door harness from a yard. The harness is already in the dash. You will find the plugs inside the door jams. The speaker and dome light wires are all you have now. Just rip that out and replace with the new harness.

I like the switches out of the 98-up trucks because they are a one piece design that does not have those crappy clips that break. They are also lighted switches and have auto window on driver side I spliced the new switches in an older harness but I bet the new harness is the same.

Power mirrors are also an easy add on when you do this because they are in the new door harness as well. You just need to grab the switch and mirrors. As I said the wires are already in the dash feeding the door jam plugs.

BTW the reason I replaced the door panels is because the inside door pocket handle is smaller on the power lock trucks to make room for the switches. There is not room to cut a hole for the switch. I did consider cutting the switch down to just the door lock switch and mounting that but the C.A.R.S. program provided lots of 1500's at the U Pull yard. I got power everything real cheep.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by olddodgetrucks
i got a power lock and a 5 pin switch from a 96 ram and want use it on pass side as i have std locks, can it be wired without realys ????
Here is a diagram that will help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Door lock wiring.pdf (25.1 KB, 1695 views)