2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Plug-In

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Plug-In

Shovel,

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. The truck turns over easier, but the oil is still stone cold. I really can't imagine that the temperature of the oil would change that much just by plugging in the block heater. Afterall, the heat in the cab is somewhat warm - not hot.

As for the fuel/air heaters - If the wait to start light doesn't come on, then the PCM must somehow think it's warmer than it really is and the only thing that's warm is the water. If that's the case, then the fuel probably would gel. Unless, of course, the PCM monitors air temp just after start up and turns everything on.

In the end, I don't use the block heater unless the truck is sitting out in the cold for a long time, i.e. overnight, at temps under 20°F. And just for good measure, I use anti gel even though the fuel has been winterized. That was the advice given to me from one "old timer" in the excavating business. And his oldest CTD ('89) has over 400k on it. He is from the Pocono's in PA and he never plugs any of his trucks/equipment in - and doesn't have any problems (with the CTD's at least).
Old 11-26-2003, 07:16 PM

[quote author=vssman link=board=5;threadid=22830;start=15#msg214643 date=1069894627]
In the end, I don't use the block heater unless the truck is sitting out in the cold for a long time, i.e. overnight, at temps under 20°F. And just for good measure, I use anti gel even though the fuel has been winterized. [/quote]

That pretty much sums it up for me, also. Here is a pic of my modification to the plug-in. I got it as a christmas present last year from a fellow CTD owner...

Old 11-26-2003, 07:25 PM

Great idea,

I've heard of more than one guy driving away with it still plugged in. Looks like you'd be hard pressed not to see it walking by the front of the truck.

I'll tell you what really solved this for me. When the Mrs. wanted a new house, I went to look at them with a tape measure in hand. The first thing I asked the realtor was to open the 2nd garage door (those of you that are married understand why I put in "2nd&quot. If the door was too low or the garage too short, then I didn't want it. The best part is not having to scrape the windows in the morning.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:25 PM

I don't mind spending a few cents worth of power to pre-heat for a couple of hours before I fire up when temps are near freezing.

Works for me. ;D
Old 11-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah we "baby" these trucks too much, I know. :

Dodge/Cummins designs 'em to be built stronger than a brick outhouse, and I know it will start without plugging in, and fuel stations supply "winter" diesel in the cold climates, I just like to use all the mechanical toys that I can.
Kind of a "Tim Allen" thing I guess........arrr, arrrr, arrrr.

Plus I car-pool with Wifey, and it's worth the few $$$ a month for electricity not to have her complain 'cuz her toes are cold.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They didn't name it a "BLOCK HEATER" for nothing. If it didn't heat the block they would have called it a water heater. Next time it's gets cold and you have your truck plugged in, open the hood and touch the block. Now compare that to the fender or some other metal on the truck. Pull the dipstick and compare the oil on the dipstick to some of the same oil that's been sitting outside. I think you'll find it a lot thinner. The difference won't be as noticeable if it's synthetic. Synthetic has a much lower pour point temp than dino oil. Better yet, leave a can of oil outside in the cold and try pouring it at various temps. (Another engineering mindset I gotta get a life)
Old 11-26-2003, 10:31 PM

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=5;threadid=22830;start=15#msg214681 date=1069899798]
Yeah we "baby" these trucks too much, I know. :

Dodge/Cummins designs 'em to be built stronger than a brick outhouse, and I know it will start without plugging in, and fuel stations supply "winter" diesel in the cold climates, I just like to use all the mechanical toys that I can.
Kind of a "Tim Allen" thing I guess........arrr, arrrr, arrrr.

Plus I car-pool with Wifey, and it's worth the few $$$ a month for electricity not to have her complain 'cuz her toes are cold.
[/quote]

Old 11-27-2003, 07:24 AM

Warming the water warms the block. Heat from the warmed block radiates to the oil pan, warming it. This in turn warms the oil. The longer it is plugged in the warmer the oil gets.

I don't ever plug in my CTD but I used to the 'big rigs'. If the temp is below 20[sup]o[/sup]F, as it is this morning, I just wait for another 10 seconds after the the 'Wait to Start' light goes out - the grid heaters are still on. The truck has never been plugged in, it always starts immediately and warms up quickly. I have Lund weather fronts, start it in neutral and set the fast idle (after the oil pressure comes up). It starts putting out warmer air in about 2 minutes.

Stan
Old 11-27-2003, 07:55 AM

Being retired does have its advantages. I really don't have to go out that early. I rarely use the block heater and then only if it's below zero. Even then it will start fine without it.
One trick I learned is to double cycle the grid heaters when it gets to about 5 degrees. The extra time gives you the heated air to fire real quick.

Bill
Old 11-27-2003, 10:45 AM

[quote author=Bill1374 link=board=5;threadid=22830;start=15#msg214817 date=1069941314]
One trick I learned is to double cycle the grid heaters when it gets to about 5 degrees. The extra time gives you the heated air to fire real quick.

Bill
[/quote]

I use this trick when I am up in the mountains. It seems to work well for me.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually plug mine in 20 degrees and below and ocassionally a little warmer. This is just to make it a little easier on the starter and batteries more than anything. The engine will clear up and run smoother faster than if not plugged in. I don't worry about the electric bill. That's chump change compared to what I have in this truck.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:11 PM

I have read about all the messages here on when to plug-in. I start plugging in when it get down in the low 20's. I can't get mine into the garage, to long. When I park it, I plug in for the night. Who knows when you may have to make a trip in the middle of the night. I even have a "Bra" for the truck. That cost me $80. from the Dodge dealer. It works great. Up here in Ohio the chill factor can get down to below "O" fast. I think the truck runs better keeping that cold air off of it. A warn engine runs smooth.
Thanks for your time, keep warm. Its getting down in the "Teens" tonight. I drive a 2000, LB, Quad , 3500
Old 12-03-2003, 11:43 AM

Over the Thanksgiving weekend I saw my "old timer" friend and we got talking about plugging in the truck. He asked me to post this: "Plugging in the block heater will wear the bearings out a lot faster ..... in your electric meter." And his highest mileage 89 has over 500K on it - No block heater; just a little shot of eyther when it's below 0.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:23 PM

I start plugging in when the temps drop below 40°.... ;D Ohhh yeah... the truck is garaged every night as well... It is set on a timer so it only runs for about 3 hours before I have to leave. Never noticed if it made a dent in the electric bill or not...

Tony
Old 12-03-2003, 01:39 PM

I've never tried plugging mine in. I saw this post and searched for the plug. Finally found it next to the radiator on the passanger side. WARNING! Don't look up at the plug cap when you pull it off. I don't think mine has ever been removed and I got an eyefull of water. ;D : I am going to plug it in when it gets down into the 30's here. That doesn't happen a lot here.

Quick Reply: Plug-In