2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Please tell me about tires (brands)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Please tell me about tires (brands)

Truck came with Goodyears - when they wore out at 60 k miles, I replaced with the same. These tires have averaged about 60 k miles per set; one set went 80 k and I was completely amazed.

The current set is about worn out at 45 k miles. I'm looking at other brands than Goodyear. Heard good things about Cooper and Kelly-Springfield - seems both companies are American owned.

Anyone want to comment on these brands, or others? Truck sees highway use, no "offroad" except gravel roads. Only hauls my fat body and some tools, normally (cattle trailer once in a blue moon).

Thanks in advance your your wisdom.

Regards,
Andrew

PS Truck will turn over 310 k miles on the way home today.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like michelin myself....I get great tire wear from them usually 70-75 k per set. But I run 265\75\16, don't know about the larger size tire though. I also don't do alot of offroading so I just stick with the mich. ltx ms
Old 10-31-2005, 08:53 AM

BFG all terrains all the way.
Reasons
1. not loud
2. good aggresive tread but not to aggresive
3. they will go 45,000 if you just rotate them

i got 45 out of an old set back when i used to drive a gasser and i never really rotated them, now that i got smart and drive the most expensive fuel i put them on the cummins as well. I have 40K on them now with about half tread or more left. I rotate them around every 5,000 miles and most places that sell you them will rotate for free
Old 10-31-2005, 09:14 AM
Banned

Rotate, rotate, rotate...

If you want your tires to last, rotate.

If your primary concer is treadlife, get the least aggressive tread you think looks good. Toyo makes a great tire, the M55 has gotten great reviews from people like you.
http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/lightTruck_suv/

I had a set of the Cooper Discover A/T, hated them, noisy, poor traction on all surfaces, wore quickly. But I know many people who swear by the S/T, but it dosen't seem like you want a tire that aggressive.

Michilen makes tires that last a LONG time on the road, but lack in off-road ability, which dosen't seem like much of an issue to you.

I don't personally care for Badyear tires, but they seem to have treated you well.

Good luck in your search, hope I helped.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am running the Bridgestone Dueler A/T revos, and they seem to be doing well. Not many miles on them yet, but traction is very good in all conditions I have seen so far, even wet grass uphill backing up.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Cooper S/T on my truck , due to the fact that i am in the construction business and this is what I think I need.
For your situation I would recommend the Michelin XPS Rib.
I might even go with them on one of my 2WD trucks.
They wear like iron, are quiet on the road and are heavy enough to handle the weight of the cummins on top of them.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Stay away from Yokahamas. Way too rough of a ride.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really liked the OEM Michelins. I guess they were not the greatest in the snow though. The wear seemed to be very good on them. My Wife got 91K out of her factory Michelins on a Stratus, I'd call that "my $'s worth".
I am running the new OEM BFG's now, but have only put about 750 miles on them, so I have no real opinions yet. They seem to be nice a quite, of course plenty of tread compared to the ones I swapped out.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 AM

Thanks for your comments

Thanks. I went with the Michelins - not the XPS Rib, they didn't have them in stock - but something similar that I think is like what the trucks are coming with these days.

The truck rides very well; I think they got the balance right. I never would have thought "ride" meant anything to me, but I'm impressed. The first thunderstorm will be the real test. If these tires are good in the wet, I'll be very happy.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. I seldom post here, since I have more to learn than to teach, but have been very grateful over the years for the knowledge y'all have provided - usually, all I needed to do was "search" and all sorts of answers came up.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 11-02-2005, 07:16 PM

I run the Michelin A/S and get over 100k miles on them with little problems.

Most Michelins don't need alot of weights to balance them. They are probably the best light truck tire for high speed as they require very few weights to balance them up.

Jason
Old 11-03-2005, 07:55 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
My stock Michelin ltx ms's got about 60k out of them. They definitely would have gone farther had I paid attention to the inflation pressure. I was running them too low. I replaced them with the Bridgestone Dueler Revos. They have been great. First set lasted 60k. The second set is at about 45k and looks like they are going to go about 60k as well. They have great traction. They are great in the rain and snow as well as dry conditions. They are not real good in the mud though. They work well offroad just not in the gooey mud. They are quiet as well. One of the best tires I have ever run at least for my uses.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM

I've had tread seperation on 4 Cooper tires - all on different vehicles. I don't care what they cost I'll never buy another one. The bodywork caused by the thrown tread is just too expensive not to mention the excitement of keeping the truck under control.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:52 PM

Wow Camelracer! Talk about exciting...

I had tread separation - not catastrophic, just big bulges - on 3 of the Firestones that came on my 1977 Chevy pickup. Never bought another Firestone.

Thanks for the feedback. I did go with the Michelins and am waiting for a thundersotrm to evaluate their resistance to hydroplaning.

In case I didn't mention it, this Forum is great. Lots of knowledge, freely given.

Have a great weekend, y'all!

Regards,
Andrew
Old 11-04-2005, 02:39 PM

I run the Michelin A/S and get over 100k miles on them with little problems.

Most Michelins don't need alot of weights to balance them. They are probably the best light truck tire for high speed as they require very few weights to balance them up.
High speed light truck tires, kinda an oxymoron.

Balancing has the most to due with when the tire is mounted. The lightest part of the tire goes to the heaviest part of the rim, usually the valve stem. Many tire shops don't consider this and in turn require extra weight to balance them. All major Tire companies run all tires through a machine called a Tire Uniformity Optimzer (TUO for short). This machine will grind down the tread to make it spin true and will put a stamp on the tire where it is the lightest.

Just about all major tire companies use the same construction of their tires and that is usually the minimum required to pass government testing. I agree that Michelin has the best name in the industry but also cost more than any other tire. I personally think their sidewalls are very soft, which allow for very good ride, but poor cornering and they do not do off road well, due to tears in the soft sidewalls by rocks. Yokohama, Firestone, Khumo, Goodyear all have acceptable tires and most people buy whatever the Tire Shop guy reccomends. Just make sure you buy Load Range E and remember, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:23 PM

Michelin A/S: 102,000 miles and counting.

Quick Reply: Please tell me about tires (brands)